Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My nasty confession. (not horrible, just grody)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
Due to lack of insurance since being dropped by my parents insurance at the age of 21, I have not been to a dentist since. I'm 27 now, and haven't been to a dentist for myself since just before my 22 birthday. My teeth aren't horrible to look at I promise. I brush and floss and rinse, but my teeth need some serious help. I have all 4 wisdom teeth still that I would love to have pulled. The top two grew in outwards and the bottom two have massive cavities. The whole left side of my face is sensitive. I can promise many a cavity on that side. To boot, I used to smoke, I drink coffee and tea like its going out of fashion, and I eat a ton of fruits. I finally found a dentist in my area who works on a sliding scale of fees, the soonest appointment is 9 months out! But to be honest, I'm scared shitless to go to the dentist. No not because of the drills and needles, that, as much as I dislike, I can take, I'm scared for the ass ripping I'm sure to get from the hygienist and dentist.
There it is, not a horrible confession, but not something I'm proud of either.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I'm sorry I have dentist phobia and haven't been in a very long time but I don't have any visible problems either.
starbuckmom03
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM

My sil is works in a dental office.  She always tells me that they have seen worse.  I thought I was bad but she said they have seen worse.  So don't worry.

Just get the things done so you feel better!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I haven't gone to the dentist since I was 15. I'm 31. I went without insurance for so long that I got used to not going. I have had insurance for years, but I'm afraid to go. I brush regularly and floss too.
VirgoMom07
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I didn't go to a dentist for 4 years when I didn't have insurance. In retrospect I wish I had paid the 100 bucks out of pocket for a yearly cleaning at least. I wound up needing 2 root canals and one of my wisdom teeth was so bad I was in tears. But whatever damage is done. A good dentist will not put you down for not going for so long (they see a lot of that and hell, you are giving them business!) good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I haven't been in ten years. I don't have any problems right now though... I.confessed to my sons dentist about how long it had been for me. I didn't see a judging look. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I haven't been to a dentist since I was 16ish. I'm 25 now. My teeth don't look bad but I know I have some cavaties that need attention and a good cleaning. I'm embarrassed to go to a dentist too but I'm gonna purchase some dental insurance with my tax refund and take my ass to the dentist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I just started working today after being out of work for 5 years. Within the next few months I am going to get braces. I hate my teeth, they are good and healthy just not perfectly straight. Sadly dental care is very pricey. I'm 25 and have never had beautiful teeth. Good luck on getting yours taken care of, I had all my wisdom teeth pulled a few years back and that got rid of so much pain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

im 24 havent been since i was 12.. I dont have dental

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I was sick for over 10 years and didn't see dentist in that time. I too had very sensitive teeth and I was a smoker and I live on Iced Tea. My Hygenist and Dentist were great. they only cleaned 1/2 of my mouth at a time because they numbed me first. The Dentist did everything he could as a low cost clinic and then  he sent me to a regular dentist for all the hairy stuff, crowns, bridges and stuff. The new Dentist was great too. We only worked within the limits of my Insurance every year. It took me over 3 years to get everything done, but I just went last month and had a cleaning and full x-rays and Gee Ma, no cavities. I have quit smoking for over a couple of years now and my hygenist says it helps a lot with the placque build up. She didn't even have to really scrape anythinh and it had been about a year.

Hang in there I'm sure you'll do fine and I hope you find a clinic as compassionate as I did!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I have dental phobia. I went to the dentist once 2 years ago just to have a tooth pulled, that was so painful I couldn't take it any longer. Before than I went to have another tooth pulled about 10 years prior. Other than that I haven't been since I was 18. I had a lot of work done as a kid, I went to the dentist every month. 

Now I am almost 50 years old and my teeth are TERRIBLE!! I have tons of cavities and now my front tooth is LOSE! OMG I don't know what I"m going to do, I just can't make myself go to the dentist, besides it's too late now. There is no saving my teeth, I guess I just need to save up for dentures then go get them all pulled.............

If at all possible, go get the work done that you need. Don't keep putting it off until it's too late.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN