Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

thinking of holding my son back

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
in school. currently he is seven and in first grade. I've been having problems with him. like Thursday he had homework in question form. he is asked to sound each letter out to attempt in blending them to hear the word. number was the word. granted its a bigger word however I ask him to sound it out. he did every letter correctly. then claimed he read the word tree. I then asked him to point out where the t wad. he pointed to the b. he just doesn't get it. then I got the reading fluency paper today. at this point in the year, he is expected to be reading 35-40 words per minute. My son is reading 27. at the end of the year he should be reading 60 words per minute. honestly at this point out is an unrealistic goal for him to set with less than 90 days of school. so I talked to his teacher, counselor and principal and they agree with me. what would you do
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Thanks. good luck to you also. My son's teacher in the beginning of the year mentioned adhd testing and I flat out refused. I told her no. we aren't going to medicate him for something one person believes he has. Not to mention boss are taught from an early age to be rowdy and rambunctious.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know how you feel! My son is also 7 and in 1st grade he isn't so much behind. But he's having trouble focusing and staying on task :( makes me sad. His teacher and I are what seems like in constant communication and she suggest I get him tested for ADHD (of course). My aunt is a teacher and so were my grandparents and they think he's bored but idk... It's so hard!! I don't want him falling behind and he isn't as if now but I need to figure out something to help him. As a nurse I'd rather not put him on meds. I'm just honesty lost Good luck to you!! :)

t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Don't do it. Have him assessed. He may have a processing disorder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM
he isn't in 7th or 8th. he is in 1st and struggling very badly. I think he shouldn't have ever been moved to 1st in the first place. he isn't even reading on a kindergarten level. and his work is going to just get harder. second and fifth are the hardest grades in elementary. I honestly feel like sending him to second grade while he is struggling us setting him up for failure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
processing disorder? can you be more specific?

Quoting t1gger143:

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM

hold him back and call sylavans learning center. I tried to hold my oldest back in 5th grade but the school refused to let me do it. and it hurt him all the way till he graduated. he flunked the 9th grade all together. but sylavans learning center helped him enormously. I highly suggest it. they may tell you he needs ex 5000 worth of tutoring like they did me but 500 made a huge difference in him. he started passing his classes. not a 3.0 or higher but I was happy with him not flunking. also check into getting him an iep.

t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
From what you have explained it sounds like a visual processing disorder. He really thinks it says tree. He is having a disconnect somewhere and he can't help it.

Quoting Anonymous:

processing disorder? can you be more specific?

Quoting t1gger143:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM
We held my daughter back in first grade and it was the best decision. Her main issue was also reading. She is now a top-of-her-class third grader!
Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM

have you ever thought about some extra tuturing? 

You can hire someone to go to your house or you can sign him up to place like kumon 

happymotherof6
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I wouldnt hold him back he may be a late bloomer:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I am going to be honest with you, I think you should hold him back.  I struggled really bad in school, when I was in 1st grade they wanted to hold me back and my mom fought it like a crazy women.  She got her way but I ended up failing 4th grade.  It was so embarrassing, I wish it would have been done in 1st grade and no one would have cared.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN