Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is grammar on cm so important to you?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know it pisses you off. Why is grammar so important on the online forum? 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Because fourth is spelled with a U :)

godsgirl26
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM

It isn't at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM
It only bothers me when people purposely misspell words because they think it's cute. That's just annoying.

I have known many people with learning disabilities and I can tell you that improper spelling and grammar doesn't necessarily reflect intelligence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
It's not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM

If I can understand it then I don't get my panties in a twist(though I do have pet peeves). I don't have perfect grammar and I am sure there are those who cringe at my replies. I do try most of the time though.

Now , if I am going to be insulted by "your stupid", then you can bet your bottom dollar I will say something.

I have to add that there is a huge difference between: Let's eat, grandma and Let's eat grandma.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't speak Walmart...hehehehe...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Because people try to pick apart every single flaw to make themselves feel better. For example if someone doesn't like the posters topic they will end up correcting things like you're instead of your and so forth. It's petty but idc I can read and get the jest of what someone's trying to say. Why belittle them?

Go ahead pick apart my response idc
KnowItAll
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Grammar is important EVERYWHERE...not just on cm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:04 AM

It's not SUPER important, and I can overlook some mistakes, but I hate when people write as if they have no grasp of the English language, like leaving out letters completely, typing in all caps, or people that write things like "alot" which is two words in all actuality. Capitalization and spelling aren't a huge deal because everyone has typos and a lot of people post mobile and don't have spell check, but "R" is not a word, "Y" is not a word, etc.

I guess it bothers me because I tend to think that people that can't write with some vague semblance of knowledge of the English language are uneducated and don't respect themselves enough to hold themselves up to a higher standard than that. It's hard for me to take them seriously. I know that's judgemental, but I grew up in a town where people said things like, "I ain't in no rush." I grew up in a town where having babies at 16 was not surprising to anyone, and where when you said you were going to get out of that damn town people would laugh at you and tell you it wasn't going to happen and you should just focus on finding a husband and getting a job in town out of high school. That's what I see in my head when people can't be bothered to make an effort. I mean, not everyone was like that, and the people that weren't were a big inspiration for me to better myself, but they all had a certain standard, even when speaking or writing imformally. 

It's not the end of the world, and I try not to be a bitch about it, though I guess I came off that way the other day and had to apologize and explain that I was trying (unsuccessfully) to be witty. It's just an image in my head of people that don't at least try.

NewMamaBoo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM

True story

Quoting Anonymous:

It only bothers me when people purposely misspell words because they think it's cute. That's just annoying.

I have known many people with learning disabilities and I can tell you that improper spelling and grammar doesn't necessary reflect intelligence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)