Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My friend thinks we have more money than we do. *vent*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I recently bought a new laptop with some of my school refund money. 

I wanted to share the good news so I told her about it. She called me moneybags and I said not really because it was the school refund money that I used to get it and I'll have to pay it back when I'm done with school (its a student loan) and she just got all awkward about it so I dropped the subject.

Then she said that because I consider $10 meals to be cheap meals at restaurants that we have money. Well that IS a cheap meal, cheap meal to her is like $4 but she goes through drive thru's and gets the combo's and have you seen the price of those??? Most combo's are $7 or $8 before tax! 

They never have food in their house but that's because they're always going out to eat.

She works a part time job only two or three days out of the week for a few hours each day and the company refuses to give her more hours but she refuses to find another job. She says it's because she's disabled (she is, she's 27 and has severe arthritis and has to get treatments that take her out of work for it) and that nobody will hire her because of that.

Well thats not MY fault.

Now she's cancelled our valentine's day plans (boys make us dinner) because they have no money now because they had to buy food.

Well, poo, fine, be that way. But Dh and I aren't full of money all the time, we're just smarter with it. BIG difference. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I dunno, maybe! We're on foodstamps and whenever we have a get together they always want us to buy all the food.

The last get together we had we all had burgers and dh and I contributed and bought chips and soda for it and she had to buy hamburger meat and fixings and whatnot but I could tell they wanted us to pay for the food but we didnt and I think she's bitter about it.

Quoting Rach7224:

I have a lot of people act like that with me too. Even my mom does that.. but since you ackowledge she isnt as good with money maybe you should be a bit more understanding that they needed to buy groceries instead. I see that as a priority.... on the other hand if they are doing that so you will pay thats bs and not a very goid friendship. Ive had those people too... and i say had for a good reason :)

NewMamaBoo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol! It means I agree. True story. Straight up ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

lol what does that mean?

Quoting NewMamaBoo:

Straight up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I'm not judging her for the way she spends her money but just because she chooses to spend it that way doesn't  mean that I should have to pay for everything for us AND them.

Quoting Anonymous:

This whole post just seems a little juvenile. You are upset she thinks you have more money so is judging....but you're judging her for the way she spends her money?

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:45 AM

It doesn't sound like you're smarter with it, it just sounds like you have access to more of it than they do.  That doesn't mean your 'rich," I'm not saying that.  I'm just saying if she only can work part time due to her health, then her idea and your idea about what a lot of money is, is probably very different.  Neither one is right or wrong, it's just a different perspective.

skittlefart
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

She was in the wrong because she pretty much bit your head off (not sure if that's exaggeration or not because I wasn't there to witness the conversation) for something you chose to do with your finances instead of her just worrying about her own. She got jealous and went out of line by trying to put you down in a rude way to make herself feel better.

You seem out of line to me because you're pretty much judging her the same way she was to you, only instead you're doing it to a bunch of people online and digging up her money issues as well when that's really no one elses business but hers, again that's where she went wrong as well. 

The situation even based upon the information given by you is too vauge to completely understand if you both just chewed into each other or not but either way in my opinion, it's better not to go into finances and it's rude to ask or blab about it because it makes others insecure or jealous. It happens though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Care to elaborate?

Quoting skittlefart:

Both of you seem out of line to me. 

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM
She sounds jealous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Its sounds like they make less money than you.  You might not be "full of money" but you obviously have more than she does.  You can be the best budget-er ever, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM

They could make it work if they budgeted better. 

Quoting bellawomen:

Its sounds like they make less money than you.  You might not be "full of money" but you obviously have more than she does.  You can be the best budget-er ever, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

So instead of kicking them down, why not be constructive and try to help them learn to budget.  Althought with the attitude you display here, I am not sure I would want you to know my fianances if you were my friend.  You are too judgement for my tastes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bellawomen:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I've tried. Dh and I follow the Dave Ramsey plan, we dont have credit cards, we use cash envelopes, we snowball our debt and we've had some really hard debts to come to terms with such as a foreclosure and care reposession.

We've offered to pay for my friend and her bf to go through financial peace university the same as we did but they won't go.

Quoting bellawomen:

So instead of kicking them down, why not be constructive and try to help them learn to budget.  Althought with the attitude you display here, I am not sure I would want you to know my fianances if you were my friend.  You are too judgement for my tastes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bellawomen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)