Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My friend thinks we have more money than we do. *vent*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I recently bought a new laptop with some of my school refund money. 

I wanted to share the good news so I told her about it. She called me moneybags and I said not really because it was the school refund money that I used to get it and I'll have to pay it back when I'm done with school (its a student loan) and she just got all awkward about it so I dropped the subject.

Then she said that because I consider $10 meals to be cheap meals at restaurants that we have money. Well that IS a cheap meal, cheap meal to her is like $4 but she goes through drive thru's and gets the combo's and have you seen the price of those??? Most combo's are $7 or $8 before tax! 

They never have food in their house but that's because they're always going out to eat.

She works a part time job only two or three days out of the week for a few hours each day and the company refuses to give her more hours but she refuses to find another job. She says it's because she's disabled (she is, she's 27 and has severe arthritis and has to get treatments that take her out of work for it) and that nobody will hire her because of that.

Well thats not MY fault.

Now she's cancelled our valentine's day plans (boys make us dinner) because they have no money now because they had to buy food.

Well, poo, fine, be that way. But Dh and I aren't full of money all the time, we're just smarter with it. BIG difference. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Replies (21-24):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM

you are obviously not very good with money if you are getting student loans and buying a new laptop with it....good luck with that when they come due!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I have a "friend" like that & its annoying because shes always having something shut off-power,water,etc..yet she has new coach purses and a new phone every 3 months.ive stopped feeling sorry for her.i don't have a lot,but I am wise with what I have.
bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM

So if you are indeed following his plan, how are you on welfare?  Trust me, I support the use of welfare, but generally those on welfare do not have the the ability to save 3 months+ of wages and $1k for emergency fun.  Not to mention you would have to report that savings and having that much in savings would affect your ability to get financial aid for your college.  College is expensive, I know.  I spent almost $17k on college last year and I only went for summer and fall.  I have been fortunate enough not to need welfare in my adult life, but I am glad it is there for those who need it.

I used the snowball method myself  :)  Personally it seems most logical to me, though I can see why others pay on the higher interest rate ones first.  I however, would not follow any religiously based or backed financial advice.  Religion doesn't belong in my checking account.  You need to step back and not judge her situation.  You gave her advice and offered resources, now its in her court.  She might be your best friend, but you do not know the whole dynamic of her relationship or her finances.  She also has the added stress of medical problems that you don't mention to have and that can dramatically affect a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried. Dh and I follow the Dave Ramsey plan, we dont have credit cards, we use cash envelopes, we snowball our debt and we've had some really hard debts to come to terms with such as a foreclosure and care reposession.

We've offered to pay for my friend and her bf to go through financial peace university the same as we did but they won't go.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM

sooo.... who cares.  everyone has money issues and if she can't do stuff, then she can't do stuff.  just move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)