Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't watch my 2 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 270 Replies
8 moms liked this
She'll be 2 next month. My house is neat and safe. I know pretty much what she'll get into. I find myself not watching her more and more. I always have a basic idea of what she's doing. Like I used to gate her in the bathroom while I shower. Then I started closing her in my bedroom and I'd peek out now and then to see what she was up to. She'd just play and stuff. Now I just let her have run of the house. She usually stays in my room anyway. Other times if she's playing in her room I don't even really worry about it because there's nothing harmful in there at all. Is this typical? Or does your two year old still have to stay within your sight? I don't really know what the "rules" are. Maybe I'm being too trusting. But I know her personality and pretty much what she will and won't do.

ETA No, my dd is not left all alone by herself all day. Lol! We do things together daily. But I also shower, poop, keep my house clean and cook meals too and there's nothing wrong with that.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that sounds safe! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that sounds safe! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM
10 moms liked this

Yep. I'd never let my 2 yr old have run of the house. No way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you being sarcastic?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that sounds safe! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM
5 moms liked this

I'd say at 2 they definitely need to be watched 99.9% of the time. Not only that but you need to be interacting with her and giving her brain stimulating things to do.

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM
5 moms liked this
I have never use a gate for my kids, by age 2 I could trust them not to get into things and to playing nicely, now at 7 and 5 I can depend on them to feed the puppy, tend to her and even help train her, I even depend on them to feed and water the birds and train them. If you put in hard work on teaching and training your child from infant to 18 months you will have a blissful road ahead of you. We didn't go through the terrible twos, or threes etc etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soulawakening82
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I am like you! My almost 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old play alone all the time. I don't feel the need to hover...

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM

At two mine were able to play in another room and, like you, I was able to tell what they were doing by the noises they'd make.  I would never take a shower and leave them alone though.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
But why? My good friend has a child the same age who I can see why she could never do that because the child just has a different personality than mine and gets into dangerous situations more easily. But not all kids are the same. But maybe there is something specific that I am not considering.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep. I'd never let my 2 yr old have run of the house. No way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you being sarcastic?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that sounds safe! 

smushy79
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
16 moms liked this

It only takes a second for them to do something they shouldnt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I always let them run loose on the main level of the house.   There wasnt anything that could hurt them and I had an open floor plan so I could see them wherever they were anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)