Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you handle this situation?

Posted by   + Show Post
I dropped ds off at daycare and slipped and fell in a huge puddle of water. The water was in the room ds is usually in but since he goes early, he's upstairs until 7:30 and we're told to put the kids belongings in their designated classroom. I have no idea where the water came from but there was no caution signs around. My knee and ankle are killing me right now and I'm thinking about going to the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I wouldn't have considered it negligence. Maybe there was a leak no one knew about or a child spilled something. It was an accident. Hope you feel better soon.

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

Yes they should be responsible for any portion my insurance doesn't cover. Would you pay for their negligence?

Quoting scarletmeshell:

I'm sorry you fell. If it had been me I would have just told someone that there was water on the floor so others wouldn't slip on it. You really think they should be responsible for your medical bills?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

I'm not trying to sue them but going to the emergency room, will cost me money.

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

You should have told them, someone else probably fell on the same spot...i actually would have wiped it up. There is nothing you can do now, if you rushed out of there it's not broken and suing the daycare should not even be a thought in your head..

Firsat of all today is a weekday-and it isn't an emergancy. Go to an urgent care. And tell the daycare before you go.

Ideal_Lady
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM
That was stupid of me not to say anything. I was already running late and I didn't wanna go back up two flights of stairs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don;t think she is talking about suing. Normally if you hurt yourself outside of your own home-in a public place or even in someone elses home, there is insurance to cover it. In this case, her NOT having reported it at the time might cause the insurer to NOT pay. Because if it was bad, and dangerous, why would you have left and not SAID anything?  A child could have been hurt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I would call ASAP to make sure the water was taken care of! What if a student slips and hits their head! You have to think about the children there before yourself!!!

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You failed to report the incident when it happened. Therefore there is no proof you actually fell in the puddle and it will be a hell of a time to get their insurer to pay your medical copays or bills. Had you reported the incident when it happened, I am sure they could have immediately filed the proper paperwork and been able to pay your stuff.

Again, unless there are cameras, there is no proof you hurt yourself on their property. So, because of your irresponsibility, it will fall on YOU to pay your copay

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

No I didn't tell them yet and I shouldn't be responsible for the co payment, if I have money or not.

Quoting silverdawn99:

With all the money you supposdly have i should think you insurance. Did you tell them what happened?

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

How do you know if I have insurance or not? Should I be responsible for the bill?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Ahhh yes the all important how much should i sue for question.....nothing. its a daycare. Take some advil and let them know what happened

mackiebugsmom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Honestly, I think you were morally responsible for warning someone about the water or taking 2 seconds to wipe it up yourself.. if you don't care about other people, I don't think they should care about you. asking a daycare to cover medical bills is selfish especially because you did nothing to prevent another person from getting hurt.

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

You should have told them, someone else probably fell on the same spot...i actually would have wiped it up. There is nothing you can do now, if you rushed out of there it's not broken and suing the daycare should not even be a thought in your head..
2BBboys0509
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

They are never going to pay you anything since you never told them you fell. Unless you have proof,their insurance company will deny it happened at the school and may turn around and sue you for filing a false report. I would just pay it myself and be done with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM
You weren't paying attention so you slipped. Why should someone else pay for your mistake? A drs copay is only $20 or so, not worth making a fuss over.

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

No I didn't tell them yet and I shouldn't be responsible for the co payment, if I have money or not.

Quoting silverdawn99:

With all the money you supposdly have i should think you insurance. Did you tell them what happened?

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

How do you know if I have insurance or not? Should I be responsible for the bill?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Ahhh yes the all important how much should i sue for question.....nothing. its a daycare. Take some advil and let them know what happened

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

If injured, go to the hospital. Call and let them know they need to clean the mess before the kids go in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Worrying about morals instead of thinking of how much you'd get in a lawsuit is downright unamerican. To Canada with you!

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

Honestly, I think you were morally responsible for warning someone about the water or taking 2 seconds to wipe it up yourself.. if you don't care about other people, I don't think they should care about you. asking a daycare to cover medical bills is selfish especially because you did nothing to prevent another person from getting hurt.

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)