Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you handle this situation?

Posted by   + Show Post
I dropped ds off at daycare and slipped and fell in a huge puddle of water. The water was in the room ds is usually in but since he goes early, he's upstairs until 7:30 and we're told to put the kids belongings in their designated classroom. I have no idea where the water came from but there was no caution signs around. My knee and ankle are killing me right now and I'm thinking about going to the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (31-34):
andersongirl562
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM
This I mean seriously what is up with everyone being sue happy?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Ahhh yes the all important how much should i sue for question.....nothing. its a daycare. Take some advil and let them know what happened
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yeah it sounds like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill good luck with that. I would rest my ankle for the day and if you could walk to your car you are probably just lopoking for trouble by going to the er. Also was it raining? They might have a hold in the roof and not know it was leaking rain. Why didnt you at least call? What if some kid slips next because you didnt bring it to their attention? You sound like a real peach.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I would call the daycare on my way to the hospital.  You should have reported it while there.  Now, not to sound nasty, but the daycare's insurance should pay for your hospital visit and follow up care.  ALL businesses should have insurance for these kinds of things.  It is most likely your insurance will refuse part of the bill and send it to the daycare's insurance, whether you ask them to or not.

Don't worry, though.  Unless you go crazy suing for millions in "damages" you won't affect the daycare's financial stability.  They already pay a monthly premium, and will continue to pay one whether you go in or not.  But calling htem to give some notice that such a bill may be coming is just courtesy.

You *could* lie and say you fell on your own property.  But then, should it require more care like a ligament surgery or physical therapy, you'll be eating the costs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Did you know if you get an injury on someone else's property, your insurance has a right to refuse to pay?  They will send the bill to the insurance provider for the property owner.  (If the other person or business doesn't have insurance for that purpose, your insurance will probably pick up the slack.  Though it does depend on your policy exactly how they'll handle things.)

It isn't ALL about suing.  The majority of these cases are handled calmly and in a friendly REASONABLE fashion, with the business's insurance happily paying for the initial visit and follow up care.  Of course, the problem is with people who insist 30 year later their leg still hurts and they need to keep receiving money from said business.  Or those who claim "emotional distress" and "emotional trauma" to try and up the ante.

Expecting a business to give you insurance information when you are injured on their property isn't a horrible thing.

Quoting andersongirl562:

This I mean seriously what is up with everyone being sue happy?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Ahhh yes the all important how much should i sue for question.....nothing. its a daycare. Take some advil and let them know what happened

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN