Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone watch "Dance Moms" last night?

Posted by   + Show Post

I fell asleep, and I wondered if anyone knew the reason that Sophia and her mother didn't show up for the contest?  Of course I didn't record it!

I can't believe I missed the best part! LOL

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
clearlyme
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I really don't know why she is even more than a blip on the show. Her poor little girl! She is not even a dance teacher! She knows she isn't a dance teacher and that's why she sent her poor little girl to Abby in the first place. I don't even like watching their feud. It makes me sick.

Quoting jucyfrut:

OMG that Cathy is so freaking annoying.  She loves to be an instigator, doesn't she?

Quoting clearlyme:

Right? Those men looked ridiculous. If it was real and I saw a group of men trying to pull that intimidation tactic on a woman, I would call the cops. I don't care how mean Abby is, it was taken too far. Cathy is such a fame whore. Those boys aren't even the fruit of her own labor.

Quoting just_hc:

Yep.  And I"m sorry.  I've been involved in the dance world for many years.  Dance DADS are few and far between!  Even if it's boys dancing generally it's still their Mom there not Dad.  Yet Cathy's team is stocked full of loud, over bearing Dance Dads.  Yeah right! 

Quoting clearlyme:

I'm sorry, the feud between Cathy and Abby has to be fake. They are terrible actors. Especially the men visiting the room and standing in some line like its a gang war and they are fighting over territory? They took the fake a little too far.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I know they're fake. Not all of them but most are. No one does the same regional more than twice a year at the most. Usually only once. They've done in10sity about 4-5 times. This got me suspicious so I pulled up that competitions website. The comps Abby Lee Dancers went to were not listed but I did find this out....... In10sity creates competition just for the show. They then invite 3-5 studios to come and "perform" (not compete) a few dances for no charge. All fees are waved.  They also SELL tickets to people to come view and be part of the audience. 

Last week they did a real On Stage America. They claimed Kendall won 3rd place and some routine called true colors won 1st. If you pull up the competitions results you'll see that Kendall didn't place in the top 10 at all and the True Colors routine got 3rd.  They're small groups did actually place first.  I've seen proof of them lying about results many times. 

This week they said they were going to Starpower in MI. Starpower hasn't gone to Michigan yet this year. Their first competition of the year wasn't even until the first weekend in Feb and it wasn't in MI. The back drop said Wild Dance Intensive. That is not a real competition. It's a dance convention where guest choreographers come and teach the children different kinds of dances. At the end of the convention sometimes they allow a few studios to compete a dance or 2. Usually there's only a very few dances competing. Nothing real competitive about it. Any dance competition my dd has attended has had 20 - 50  studios with thousands of dances. They are 3 day events. The "competitions" Abby Lee does have no more than 5 studios each competing just 2 or 3 dances each. My dd dances in 19 dances alone at each competition. 

The first season or 2 they did go to regular competitions but because of them lying about results many competitions have banned them. Even at those comps they only performed 1-2 dances while the other dancers at other studios were competing in 5-20+ dances each. I can only imagine if my dd only had one dance to focus on how absolutely amazing that dance would be. 

Quoting just_hc:

I think most of the show is staged for ratings.  But you think the competitions are fake also? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they were tired of doing fake competitions. 

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

That's interesting.  I figured most of it is faked for television.  But you cannot deny those girls have real talent! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know they're fake. Not all of them but most are. No one does the same regional more than twice a year at the most. Usually only once. They've done in10sity about 4-5 times. This got me suspicious so I pulled up that competitions website. The comps Abby Lee Dancers went to were not listed but I did find this out....... In10sity creates competition just for the show. They then invite 3-5 studios to come and "perform" (not compete) a few dances for no charge. All fees are waved.  They also SELL tickets to people to come view and be part of the audience. 

Last week they did a real On Stage America. They claimed Kendall won 3rd place and some routine called true colors won 1st. If you pull up the competitions results you'll see that Kendall didn't place in the top 10 at all and the True Colors routine got 3rd.  They're small groups did actually place first.  I've seen proof of them lying about results many times. 

This week they said they were going to Starpower in MI. Starpower hasn't gone to Michigan yet this year. Their first competition of the year wasn't even until the first weekend in Feb and it wasn't in MI. The back drop said Wild Dance Intensive. That is not a real competition. It's a dance convention where guest choreographers come and teach the children different kinds of dances. At the end of the convention sometimes they allow a few studios to compete a dance or 2. Usually there's only a very few dances competing. Nothing real competitive about it. Any dance competition my dd has attended has had 20 - 50  studios with thousands of dances. They are 3 day events. The "competitions" Abby Lee does have no more than 5 studios each competing just 2 or 3 dances each. My dd dances in 19 dances alone at each competition. 

The first season or 2 they did go to regular competitions but because of them lying about results many competitions have banned them. Even at those comps they only performed 1-2 dances while the other dancers at other studios were competing in 5-20+ dances each. I can only imagine if my dd only had one dance to focus on how absolutely amazing that dance would be. 

Quoting just_hc:

I think most of the show is staged for ratings.  But you think the competitions are fake also? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I assumed they were faked but thanks for the info!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting just_hc:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jucyfrut
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

We got caught up in it last night.  I didn't understand how she could just walk right into Abbey's dressing room like that, along with the other parents.  Don't you love how Cathy drags her students' parents into the mix?  That kind of stupid drama belongs in Soaps, not this.  This is for the kids, and they don't need to be seeing that crap.

Quoting clearlyme:

I really don't know why she is even more than a blip on the show. Her poor little girl! She is not even a dance teacher! She knows she isn't a dance teacher and that's why she sent her poor little girl to Abby in the first place. I don't even like watching their feud. It makes me sick.

Quoting jucyfrut:

OMG that Cathy is so freaking annoying.  She loves to be an instigator, doesn't she?

Quoting clearlyme:

Right? Those men looked ridiculous. If it was real and I saw a group of men trying to pull that intimidation tactic on a woman, I would call the cops. I don't care how mean Abby is, it was taken too far. Cathy is such a fame whore. Those boys aren't even the fruit of her own labor.

Quoting just_hc:

Yep.  And I"m sorry.  I've been involved in the dance world for many years.  Dance DADS are few and far between!  Even if it's boys dancing generally it's still their Mom there not Dad.  Yet Cathy's team is stocked full of loud, over bearing Dance Dads.  Yeah right! 

Quoting clearlyme:

I'm sorry, the feud between Cathy and Abby has to be fake. They are terrible actors. Especially the men visiting the room and standing in some line like its a gang war and they are fighting over territory? They took the fake a little too far.

While you were too busy being so judgemental of others, you forgot to lock your closet door~~and all the skeletons fell out!!  OOPS!!

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

they never really said but I dont think they were the type of people that could deal wiht Abby and the way she is.

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Tears and dance go hand in hand.  My daughter was in tears last night at studio.  Dancers are pretty hard on themselves and a bit of perfectionists.  The stress and pressure gets to them.  But yay, Abby can be a little cold for dealing with such young girls.  My DD is 15 and sometimes it takes tough love to get thru to them.

Quoting sissyboogs:

Ratings or not, the girls' feelings appear to be genuinely hurt by the things Abby says....and I don't think that's right at all. I wouldn't put my kids through that. 

Quoting just_hc:

I feel the same way.  I would never allow my daughter to be treated that way.  But from what I hear that is also a lot about ratings.   I wish my daughters coach would yell a little more most of the time.  She's too easy on them. :)

Quoting mommybecky:

Abby said Sophia left because of her. I think Sophia's mom didn't like the way that Abby yelled at Kendall and didn't want that to happen to Sophia.

My girls dance competitively. I would never stay at a studio where the owner talked to my kids that way, or to me. Abby is out of control. Honestly, it's abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Theyre very good but they are far from amazing. I see dancers as good and many much better at every competition we go to. Abby should focus on improving on their musicality which is lacking. 

Now Sophia??? She's one of the best out there. 

Quoting just_hc:

That's interesting.  I figured most of it is faked for television.  But you cannot deny those girls have real talent! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting just_hc:

Quoting Anonymous:

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I agree.  I love Sophia.  She's a doll and amazing to watch!  Maddie too.  I love watching her solos.  The rest of them are okay.  Heck, I'd put my daughter up against them anytime!  What I meant was that you can't fake being able to dance.  It's not easy and they have to put in the work and practice to be that good.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Theyre very good but they are far from amazing. I see dancers as good and many much better at every competition we go to. Abby should focus on improving on their musicality which is lacking. 

Now Sophia??? She's one of the best out there. 

Quoting just_hc:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting just_hc:

Quoting Anonymous:

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

There's a difference between "tough love" and being downright nasty. I mean, obviously you have to tell them about their mistakes otherwise they won't know to correct it....but Abby is just cruel. I mean, come on, being mad at the dancers for something their moms did or said is not tough love. Taking away solos because Mom had an attitude is not tough love. Calling them stupid or little babies (like she did to Kendall on last night's episode) is not tough love. 

I'll admit, I'm naive about the dance world. But, my daughter's going to be starting dance soon (she's almost 3), and I would never allow an instructor to treat her the way Abby treats those girls. 

Quoting just_hc:

Tears and dance go hand in hand.  My daughter was in tears last night at studio.  Dancers are pretty hard on themselves and a bit of perfectionists.  The stress and pressure gets to them.  But yay, Abby can be a little cold for dealing with such young girls.  My DD is 15 and sometimes it takes tough love to get thru to them.

Quoting sissyboogs:

Ratings or not, the girls' feelings appear to be genuinely hurt by the things Abby says....and I don't think that's right at all. I wouldn't put my kids through that. 

Quoting just_hc:

I feel the same way.  I would never allow my daughter to be treated that way.  But from what I hear that is also a lot about ratings.   I wish my daughters coach would yell a little more most of the time.  She's too easy on them. :)

Quoting mommybecky:

Abby said Sophia left because of her. I think Sophia's mom didn't like the way that Abby yelled at Kendall and didn't want that to happen to Sophia.

My girls dance competitively. I would never stay at a studio where the owner talked to my kids that way, or to me. Abby is out of control. Honestly, it's abuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)