Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did I do the right thing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Our neighbor is an elderly gentleman who's wife recently passed away. Now he lives home alone with his small dog (I think a Shih Tzu).

For the past 3 days the dog has been outside all day. The first day we knocked on the neighbors door and no one answered. It was freezing cold outside and the dog was shivering so we put it in our garage for a few hours to warm up and gave him some food. We can't bring him inside because I have 3 big dogs, 1 of which is pretty territorial and does not like new animals in the house. Late that evening that neighbors daughter showed up, let the dog in and left. My husband talked to her for a few minutes and she thanked him for watching out for the dog and didn't really say anything else.

The second day the dog was outside again. I knocked on the door and again got no answer. It wasn't as cold outside so we just left the dog alone and tried to keep an eye on him. He gets out of the fence and runs free in the yard and we live on a busy road. So far I have not seen the dog leave there property. I never seen anyone come to let the dog in that day.

The third day (yesterday) he was outside again. This time I noticed it when I was taking my son to work at 5:30am. He was out all day. I gave him some food and water and just kept an eye on him again. As far as I know no one came to let him in last night. He was out at 10pm and still out early this morning when I took my son to work again. Today he is walking like his feet are sore. It has been pretty cold, especially at night. I'm worried his pad my be chapped or cracked from the cold.

So I called the Humane Society. I'm worried about my neighbor, but I have no contact information for him and I haven't seen his daughter or anyone else since Sunday evening. But I am also worried about the dog. They said they would send someone today to pick him up. But now I feel kind of like I crossed a line or something. My neighbor has always been a great pet owner. He does not let his dog just run free. He never has. 

Was I out of line? Should I have waited? Or did I do the right thing?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WandaSue
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM

i think you did the right thing, maybe they can talk with the owner and see what he wants to do about it. hugs mama

Aleta775
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

No you did the right thing. The owner could be very sick, and the dd is probably very preoccupied with that. However, that is no excuse for not taking better care of the dog. 

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I think you did the right thing. 

crystal626rose
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I think you did the right thing, all I keep thinking is he is sick and overwhelmed with trying to care for the dog...who knows.I hope it all works out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

poor doggy :( 

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I would have called the police for a well check on the man. He clearly isn't well enough to remember to take proper care of the dog. But calling anyone is better than not doing anything. The guy and dog need help. You are a good neighbor.
sstef126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Your neighbor may be dead inside the house. Call the police to check this out..
ksueditz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM
This

Quoting WandaSue:

i think you did the right thing, maybe they can talk with the owner and see what he wants to do about it. hugs mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)