Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

LENT: what are you giving up?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've don't sweets, soda, even meat.

I want to give up something that matters.

NO BASHING THIS POST. If you don't give up anything, then at least be nice.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Baked goods. Cake, cookies, brownies etc.
rockabillybetty
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Me and my godson sacrifice ALOT during the 40days of lent. We participate in our tribal ceremonies. :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NBean311
by Chivette on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

That isn't what Lent is about. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing. I think Lent is a giant waste of time.  If you going to give something up, make it a lifetime decision, not a 40 day countdown for when you can do it again.

squeekers
http://www.richdemuro.com/home/2014/12/17/how-to-get-a-refund-from-google-play-for-in-app-purchases-your-kids-made-without-your-permission
Today at 12:41 AM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

well if you wanted to see how overflowing your inbox would be, give up the internet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I am not giving up anything, but adapting a healthier lifestyle. I already do not do sweets and soda...and hardly eat...So the next best thing was to actually eat balanced meals and workout on a weekly basis.

Briggswife09
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I want to give up fb but in the end it would do more damage to me than good. (my dh is deployed and we use fb to talk everyday, he begged me not to give it up lol) So I am going with sodas since they are my go to thing when I get stressed right now. I am hoping by giving them up I will learn to go to God instead of a soda.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I haven't decided yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I know what Lent is about.  The people I work with go to the Ash Wednesday mass, come back and talk about how they are giving up chocolate, cussing, smoking, drinking, sex, etc, then without taking time to breathe say they have X number of days before they can do it again.  There certainly isn't anything spiritual about that.  I simply believe that if you are going to give up something for Jesus, God, or whoever, make it a lifelong decision of sacrifice and giving.

Quoting NBean311:

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing. I think Lent is a giant waste of time.  If you going to give something up, make it a lifetime decision, not a 40 day countdown for when you can do it again.

NBean311
by Chivette on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Well then they aren't really devoted to the practice of Lent at all. I'm not arguing, just observing. I don't see anything wrong with giving something up for Lent alone, if you understand and observe the sacrifice aspect. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know what Lent is about.  The people I work with go to the Ash Wednesday mass, come back and talk about how they are giving up chocolate, cussing, smoking, drinking, sex, etc, then without taking time to breathe say they have X number of days before they can do it again.  There certainly isn't anything spiritual about that.  I simply believe that if you are going to give up something for Jesus, God, or whoever, make it a lifelong decision of sacrifice and giving.

Quoting NBean311:

Quoting Anonymous:

Naiia
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Happy Ash Wednesday to you. and not sure yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN