Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want to take care of my niece and nephews. EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you take them in?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 329

View Results

My sil had her kids removed from her home last week.  She had to be hospitalized due to her mental health & her home was in shambles.  Kids are currently in 2 separate foster homes and they are looking for a relative to take them in.  My husband feels its our duty.  I am just thinking that it would be too much... the court dates, the appointments, the noise, the space, the cost...

SOCIAL WORKER IS COMING TOMORROW FOR AN INTERVIEW/HOME VISIT.  IF WE "PASS" WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THE KIDS SOMETIME NEXT WEEK.  STRESSED, BUT THE KIDS ARE WORTH IT.  WISH ME LUCK.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

That is a hard situation to be in and i don't think anyone really knows until faced with that.

I think, ultimately, we would take in my neice and nephew.  I don't think it would ever get to that point because there are other family members that would be first in line.  But we actually let my dh's brother, gf and son live with us for a little while.  Didn't work out so well because they are lazy slobs but not the kids fault. 

My mom actually fostered my dad's sister's dd for a year.  It was pretty hard on them when it was all over because they had her since she was a baby.  Now they don't see her at all.

Good luck with everything and don't feel guilty if you decide to not take them in.  Is there any other family?

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I wouldn`t want them in the system but I understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

your husband is right! They are family, HIS family.. and as his wife, you should stand by him in helping these kids!  Just because they aren't YOUR blood, doesn't mean they don't deserve a good home.. so suck it up and stop whining and be thankful your husband feels this way about family. 

Neuro
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I wouldn't want to but I'd do it anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I sure would. I told my sister if anything ever happened, and she had kids, and needed me, Im here! I wouldnt want my nieces and nephews out somewhere, Id want to know they were taking care of.
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Yes! I love my niece and nephew!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarantulaTress
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't think twice about it. I'd make do to ensure my family was taken care of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I would not take in kids that I didn't think I could handle either, it's not selfish at all.
RLT2
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Of course I would, of course.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM
It would be an up hill struggle. But Yes I would take them in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN