Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If a teacher sent home a letter like this would you abide by it? (added the update)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1743 Replies
23 moms liked this

LET ME MAKE SOMETHING CLEAR...I DID NOT ASK THE TERACHER TO SEND THIS LETTER HOME...I WOULD HAVE BEEN OK WITH JUST MAKING TREATS FOR MY DD TO HAVE YESTERDAY....THE PROBLEM IS DD'S CLASS IS NUT FREE AND HAS BEEN ALL YEAR SO THIS WAS NOTHING NEW WHEN IT CAME TO HAVING SNACKS THAT WERE SUPPOSE TO BE NUT FREE ANYWAYS...THE PROBLEM LIES THAT THIS PARENT DELIBERTLY SENT IN A SNACK KNOWING IT WAS NOT ALLOWED AND HAS NOT BEEN ALLOWED ALL YEAR AND THEN WHEN SHE SENT IN HER LIST OF INGREDIENTS SHE PURPOSLY LEFT OUT THE FACT IT DID CONTAIN NUTS AND SHE ADMITTED TO THAT...SHE KNEW SENDING IN THAT SNACK WAS AGAINST CLASS RULES AND THE FACT SHE LEFT IT OUT OF HER LIST OF INGREDENTS SHE KNEW THAT THE CHILD WITH THE ALLERGY WOULD MORE THEN LIKLEY BE HANDED ONE THEREFORE SHE TOOK THE CHANCE OF KILLING A CHILD...FOR THAT SHE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS..IF IT HAD BEEN AN HONEST MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT AND I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MAD...I WASN'T EVEN AGRY UNTIL THE SCHOOL CALLED AND TOLD ME WHAT THIS MOTHER TOLD THEM...SHE TOLD THEM SHE LEFT IT OUT OF HER LIST BECAUSE SHE KNEW THAT THE SNACK WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SHARED IF SHE HAD INCLUDED IT!!!

My DD's class had a valentine party yesterday at school (did it yesterday because they have a field trip scheduled Thursday) so anyways part of this letter was about their party asking parents to supply treats, drinks, plates and cups if they would like to...The letter went on to say that the class had a child that had some severe food allergies including Chocolate, strawberries, honey, nuts/peanuts and to please not send in anything with those items in it and to please either include the ingredients from the back of the package or if it is home made please send in a note with the list of ingredients.....

Would you abide by this or would you still send in whatever you pleased?

I did abide by it for the safety of that child

****EDIT****My child is the one with all the allergies....2 parents sent in things that were against the letter...one was chocolate brownies...that was put away and not shared with the class and instead the parent was called and told they either could pick up the brownies or they would be thrown away.....The second however was homemade cookies (from scratch) that contained nuts and the ingredient list the parent included she did not list nuts as an ingredient and because of that when my DD took a bite and her throat began to close she had to use her epipen in class and then was rushed to the ER (these kids are in 1st grade)....when the school called the parent she made no excuse or apology she said they were her son's favorite cookies and her son wanted them so she made them and when asked why she didn't list nuts on the list she included she stated it was because she knew the cookies would not be shared if they included anything from the list the teacher sent home....

So after finding this out from the school today I have talked to the PD and with the help of the school will be pressing charges on that mother for endangering my DD's life......I hope she gets jail time (probably won't) she could have killed my DD because she had to be so selfish when all she had to do was not send in anything and instead just make the cookies for her son to eat at home...

Oh and I did send in a snack to share with the class.....The snacks were to be shared by the whole class and that is why the teacher made this request

I keep hearing the same thing over and over so let me see if I can at least explain my side....My DD has had these allergies since she was 2...since then she was taught very well what she could and could not eat...by the time she was three she knew how to read the names of the food items she could not eat and by the time she was 4 knew how to look at a box and look for the names and read the names of the food items she could not eat....she was and is well educated on her food allergies .....Her classroom is a nut free zone all the time so that was nothing knew to the parents.....DD sits at a peanut free table during lunch and the school does not serve peanutbutter they serve sunbutter....the reason the teacher made this request was because all snacks were to be shared with the whole class the teacher did not feel it was right to leave one kid out....Yes i supplied a snack that could be shared with the whole class as well

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atyou
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
37 moms liked this
Is this a legit question?

Of course I would. What asshole wouldn't?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
4 moms liked this
I would abide by it. I don't want to kill a kid...what did u send?
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
23 moms liked this

Anybody who intentionally places another child in harm's way is an a*s... and asking for trouble.

Yes, I would abide by it. It may be a pain, but it's necessary and I would do it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Who wouldn't abide?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Of course I would abide by the request.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I sent in homemade vannilla cupcakes with vannilla frosting in the center...I made everything from scratch to prevent any of those items from being in the cupcakes

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
20 moms liked this

I would send the drinks and cups and play it safe.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Sucks to be allergic to chocolate on Valentine's Day.  But yes, if I was that child's parent, I would prefer people to think of the safety of my child, and either abide by it or not send anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

yes legit question...After a few more responces I will explain why I asked

Quoting atyou:

Is this a legit question?

Of course I would. What asshole wouldn't?

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this
That sounds yummy

Quoting Anonymous:

I sent in homemade vannilla cupcakes with vannilla frosting in the center...I made everything from scratch to prevent any of those items from being in the cupcakes

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured