Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If a teacher sent home a letter like this would you abide by it? (added the update)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

LET ME MAKE SOMETHING CLEAR...I DID NOT ASK THE TERACHER TO SEND THIS LETTER HOME...I WOULD HAVE BEEN OK WITH JUST MAKING TREATS FOR MY DD TO HAVE YESTERDAY....THE PROBLEM IS DD'S CLASS IS NUT FREE AND HAS BEEN ALL YEAR SO THIS WAS NOTHING NEW WHEN IT CAME TO HAVING SNACKS THAT WERE SUPPOSE TO BE NUT FREE ANYWAYS...THE PROBLEM LIES THAT THIS PARENT DELIBERTLY SENT IN A SNACK KNOWING IT WAS NOT ALLOWED AND HAS NOT BEEN ALLOWED ALL YEAR AND THEN WHEN SHE SENT IN HER LIST OF INGREDIENTS SHE PURPOSLY LEFT OUT THE FACT IT DID CONTAIN NUTS AND SHE ADMITTED TO THAT...SHE KNEW SENDING IN THAT SNACK WAS AGAINST CLASS RULES AND THE FACT SHE LEFT IT OUT OF HER LIST OF INGREDENTS SHE KNEW THAT THE CHILD WITH THE ALLERGY WOULD MORE THEN LIKLEY BE HANDED ONE THEREFORE SHE TOOK THE CHANCE OF KILLING A CHILD...FOR THAT SHE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS..IF IT HAD BEEN AN HONEST MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT AND I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MAD...I WASN'T EVEN AGRY UNTIL THE SCHOOL CALLED AND TOLD ME WHAT THIS MOTHER TOLD THEM...SHE TOLD THEM SHE LEFT IT OUT OF HER LIST BECAUSE SHE KNEW THAT THE SNACK WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SHARED IF SHE HAD INCLUDED IT!!!

My DD's class had a valentine party yesterday at school (did it yesterday because they have a field trip scheduled Thursday) so anyways part of this letter was about their party asking parents to supply treats, drinks, plates and cups if they would like to...The letter went on to say that the class had a child that had some severe food allergies including Chocolate, strawberries, honey, nuts/peanuts and to please not send in anything with those items in it and to please either include the ingredients from the back of the package or if it is home made please send in a note with the list of ingredients.....

Would you abide by this or would you still send in whatever you pleased?

I did abide by it for the safety of that child

****EDIT****My child is the one with all the allergies....2 parents sent in things that were against the letter...one was chocolate brownies...that was put away and not shared with the class and instead the parent was called and told they either could pick up the brownies or they would be thrown away.....The second however was homemade cookies (from scratch) that contained nuts and the ingredient list the parent included she did not list nuts as an ingredient and because of that when my DD took a bite and her throat began to close she had to use her epipen in class and then was rushed to the ER (these kids are in 1st grade)....when the school called the parent she made no excuse or apology she said they were her son's favorite cookies and her son wanted them so she made them and when asked why she didn't list nuts on the list she included she stated it was because she knew the cookies would not be shared if they included anything from the list the teacher sent home....

So after finding this out from the school today I have talked to the PD and with the help of the school will be pressing charges on that mother for endangering my DD's life......I hope she gets jail time (probably won't) she could have killed my DD because she had to be so selfish when all she had to do was not send in anything and instead just make the cookies for her son to eat at home...

Oh and I did send in a snack to share with the class.....The snacks were to be shared by the whole class and that is why the teacher made this request

I keep hearing the same thing over and over so let me see if I can at least explain my side....My DD has had these allergies since she was 2...since then she was taught very well what she could and could not eat...by the time she was three she knew how to read the names of the food items she could not eat and by the time she was 4 knew how to look at a box and look for the names and read the names of the food items she could not eat....she was and is well educated on her food allergies .....Her classroom is a nut free zone all the time so that was nothing knew to the parents.....DD sits at a peanut free table during lunch and the school does not serve peanutbutter they serve sunbutter....the reason the teacher made this request was because all snacks were to be shared with the whole class the teacher did not feel it was right to leave one kid out....Yes i supplied a snack that could be shared with the whole class as well

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Replies (781-790):
angelam0580
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I would, my kids are allergic to peanuts so I know how serious it can be. That parent has major issues to do what she did! If its her kids favorite cookie she could of kept them at home to have as a treat! What a jerk!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It's what you implied sweetheart. I understood completely what you said, and what you were implying with your message.. don't pretend you were implying otherwise either, because it just makes you look like a liar.

You stated that you don't think it's fair to other kids, and what you felt should be done.. yes you said "if it were your child", but along with the rest of your post, you are implying that others should do the same. 

There is also a VAST difference in parents CHOOSING to homeschool because they can and are equipt to do it, verses parents that are not equipt to homeschool.. 

Not everyone can homeschool dear.. and that is why we have a public school system. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Is that what I said? No. I said IF it WAS MY CHILD. Reading comprehension is your friend. Also there is nothing wrong with home schooling :)

Quoting jessi2girls:

So every child that has a severe allergy should not have the right to an education? They should be homeschooled by parents that know they can't give them the same kind of education as a school? That's FAIR? 

Quoting Anonymous:

If my child had a severe allergy to a food item that is common, I wouldn't put my child at risk by sending him to a regular school where he could come into contact with these these things. I wouldn't expect the school or the parents and children to go out of their way to keep my child safe because its not their job. It would be my job. No I absolutely do not think its fair to the other kids.

Quoting jessi2girls:

It's more fair for the other kids to lose a classmate that could die from it??? You can give your kids treats at home with anything you like, but at school, it shouldn't be a danger to their friends!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think its fair to the other kids but I would abide by it.

Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Or...she could have stubbornly, arrogantly, ignorantly decided to not play along with the rules, period and without ever deliberately attempting to harm ("trick") a child.

IOW, not taking the rules of the party and the overall rules for the school seriously. Or for that matter, the food allergy itself seriously.

I'm all for a lawsuit against this Mom and see if the OP can include in the terms of the lawsuit that this other Mom's child be removed from the school. Why have your child enrolled in a school where there's a school-wide ban on nuts?

Quoting Anonymous:

If she didn't want to insure that the child be tricked in to eating the poison, then she wouldn't have omitted it from the ingredients.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

You're right...you didn't say YOU had adult children. My apologies and I did read it wrong.

No, you cited me as a "dummy" because you stated that *I* had written that the OP could arrest the other Mom herself (highlighted below in red in one of your comments). So again..........

To what is highlighted in blue below, smart girl, is indicative of you taking this thread into new, almost bizarre areas. You sincerely believe that this other Mom wanted to "insure" that the OP's "child be tricked into eating poison?"

I appreciate that you're damn near salivating to tell me off and state how wrong you feel I am but for the love of God and all things sane...make sense.

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I 100% agree. While I'm glad that the teacher sent a letter stating a child had those allergies I don't think that no one should of gotten the brownies. When you have allergies sometimes you have to pass on things. I myself am severely allergic to peanuts/treenuts, have been since I was 6 months old, but even to this day there are times when I don't eat anything at parties or get togethers because I'm not 100% sure what is in something. I don't expect everyone else not to eat anything.

I do think that the mom who PURPOSELY left out the nuts in the ingredients list was way out of line. Food allergies are not something that should be taken lightly

Quoting Meglet1970:

While I would abide by the letter that the teacher sent, if it were my kid that had the allergies, I would not have a problem with someone sending something for the whole class to share that my kid couldn't have.  However, if there were something in there on the allergy list, I would expect that to be noted so that my daughter would not eat it.

In other words, I believe that by leaving the nuts out of the ingredient list, the mother who sent in the snack was in the wrong.  I also believe that the teacher should have let the children eat the chocolate brownies, especially as OP said that her daughter knew what to avoid.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yes, most schools do, I didn't say ALL. If there is not severe allergies in those districts they may be more laxed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Really most schools do? Funny none of the 3 districts we've been in ban these as just about everything is made in a plant that makes things w/nuts.

Your box cakes will say "may contain nuts" as well.  But even in my district you wouldn't be able to buy that, make it & send it in bc that is considered "homemade" and they won't know what is in it.  Plus being made in your home it "may contain nuts."

I deal w/allergies, I don't need to be schooled on them. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

Most schools ban these as well if they say "may contain nuts"... there is a reason why they state "may contain nuts'... because obviously those with extreme allergies, even being made near nuts, or if a nut slips into it, can cause a very deadly reaction. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually yes I can.

May contain nuts is not containing nuts, they have to be on there bc of possible cross contamination.

Just about every package will say "possible cross contamination" or "may contain nuts" bc they are packaged or made in a place that has nuts.

You are not allowed to buy anything & make it at home, that is not considered store bought. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You wouldn't be able to send in anything from the bakery, the packages say right on them that the product may have come in contact with nuts

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course I'd abide by it.

Everything at our school has to be store bought so I'd go buy some vanilla cupcakes w/frosting & send it in.  The ingredients are listed on the package.

The parents of the child/children though should also be sending in things they know their child can have just in case.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Honestly that sounds a little restrictive and i wouldn't send in anything I was told not too so I probably just not send in food period. I don't want the hassle and I wouldn't want to make a kid sick so i'd probably send in stickers or small toys or something instead.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

KaynKorie
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

She should get charges for attempted murder. She was told not to include nuts but did anyway and didnt tell anyone. Therefore, she knew it would and could hurt someone. Allergies are not joke!!!!Thats intent to kill. I would kill that mother with my bare hands. Good luck to you and your daughter!!!!!

BabyFetus Ticker

pregnancy calendar

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If that is the case then the school shouldn't be allowing food days like this. That is far too much work to go through for one kid. Sorry. I would just choose not to supply anything or buy packaged boring food which is not fun for my kid. So, sorry she went through that and that parent was definitely wrong in what she did. I just think that if there is one kid that is that severely allergic and requires that parents go through that much trouble to avoid bringing anything good then it shouldn't be allowed. That's my opinion.

iuangina
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why most schools that are peanut free, etc don't allow homemade stuff to be brought into the school.  Store bought stuff allows for an ingredients to be unaltered.  In the future, I would teach your kid not to eat anything that you didn't provide for her.  

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I would take her to civil court for your out of pocket costs on your daughters medical treatment. You have a case. teach at least this woman a valuable lesson.

Photo: -Randi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured