Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question/ Discussion for mommas! **Edit new option added**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies

Poll

Question: Will a negative atmosphere produce unsuccessful children?

Options:

yes

no

maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

In my sociology class we are talking about environments and how they affect us. My idea on it is that if a child is raised in a positive atmosphere they will grow up to be a positive/ successful adult. Where as if the child is raised in a negative atomsphere they will grow up to be a negative/ failure adult. It also depends on social class people who grew up in poverty will always be neg. and unsuccessful and live off the government just like they were taught, where as middle and upper class will succeed and not live off of welfare. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

**This is not directed at anyone**

Has anyone heard of the 'Monster Study'??

This was an experienment that was done in 1929, 22 orphans were taken for speech therapy (not all of them had a stutter!!), 11 of them were given positive reinforcement; your not a stutterer! You are stronger than this, your doing so well. Of those 11 only 5 actually had a stuttering problem, the others got better over time. The other 11 were given negative reinforcment (only 6 children had a stutter to begin with); you need to think before you speak, if you can't talk with out stuttering then don't talk at all, and you will always be a stutterer. Of the 5 children that didn't have a stutter to begin with 4 children developed one, only 1 didn't. 

Was this a consequence of their environment/ what they were told? Does what we say affect our children? What kind of adults are we raising?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
m0mmyheather
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I disagree.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this
In most cases I agree but there's always that person that strives for better than what they grew up with.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
In general, I agree. It's much harder to become successful with so many factors working against you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Syphon
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Not necessarily.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Why?

Quoting m0mmyheather:

I disagree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Why what other options are there?

Quoting Syphon:

Not necessarily.

jbirchard
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it depends.

Nothing is black or white. There's always a grey area.
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I think nothing is a guaranteed factor. You have those who wallow in the life they were brought up in , unwilling to look beyond it, and you have those who fight against their up bringing to defy it. Both good and bad.

I think your personal happiness and success is based entirely on your drive and your personality.

How you were brought up- is only an excuse for so long.  perhaps 100 years ago- when exposure to other lives and other people were somewhat limited, I can see, but these days you only have to look down the street, or flip on  a tv to see alternative lives.

justahousewife
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I was raised in that negative, welfare home. I'm one of the most positive, successful people I know. Personality type has a huge impact on how children turn out. I've always been upbeat and a go-getter even when I was being abused and listening to nothing but arguing. I can't imagine I'm the exception to the rule.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

What would be the big factors that would change things? Aren't our children who we raise them to be?

Quoting jbirchard:

I think it depends.

Nothing is black or white. There's always a grey area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)