Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have to be married to be considered a " STEP MOM " ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Even though we are not...can I still be called the step mom ?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Not a step mom. Just dads girlfriend.
kitchen.ninja
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
No. It's the title of someone who isn't married to a bio dad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amberstars
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Personally I think yes you have to be married to be a step mom.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Kat31
by AlwaysWatching on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM
No. My SO's son lives with us full time. I'm not a stepmom as I'm not married.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SaraD1989
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't consider myself a step mom, even if I were married, I would never call myself a step mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

It' is just as easy to say "this is Kay, my dad's girlfriend" ( Kay is just an example) as it is to say "this is Kay, my step mom". When I was 17 my dad was with a woman for 4 years and she always tried to get me to introduce her as my step mom, I always told her no, she wasn't my step mom and in fact, she once introduced herself as my step mom and I corrected her, it embarrassed the hell out of her when I said "I didnt know you and dad got married" but she never tried it again. If you want to be the step mom, marry the dad, if for whatever reason you don't want to or he doesn't want to marry you, why should his children refer to you as their step mom?

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

technically you're not the step mom but for simplicifation of terms Im sure the kids would refer to you as the step mom, rather than my dads gf. Especially if this is a very long term relationship

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends.  Im divorced from my stepkids dad and they still refer to me as their "other mom" because I was around for so much of their lives.  

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I think it depends on the family dynamics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

A step mother is the wife of one's father.  I guess if they want to call you step mom, go for it, but that's the actual definition.  Otherwise you're their father's girlfriend.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarriedYoung
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

As the bm no i would not consider you my child's "step mom" until you were married. As a child with a step mom no i would not consider you my "step mom" until you married my dad. I had 2 step moms and it was the same with both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)