Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have to be married to be considered a " STEP MOM " ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Even though we are not...can I still be called the step mom ?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
robyann
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Technically, you wouldn't legally be the step mom. BUT to the kids you can be the step mom, if you are with their father and are involved in their lives. Whatever "title" they give you doesn't really matter, you have the same relationship with them. So whatever they are anyone else wants to call it, you are a big part of their lives and are important to them. 

lesh1013
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It depends on the dynamic of the family & how old the child is.  I used to refer to myself to MY friends as the SM when we weren't married...but He was only 4 at the time.  I never tried to force him to call me anything other than my name.  Which is totally fine with me.  I have a Stepdad of 20+ years & we still call him by his first name.  Every situation is different. 

nataliesmom2012
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My SKs consider me their SM and I consider them my SKs. My SO and I aren't married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Then why don't you get married?

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

My SKs consider me their SM and I consider them my SKs. My SO and I aren't married.

thecoffeefairy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM
This. But it's easier for most kids to refer to you as sm.

Quoting LyTe684:

Quoting jillbailey26:

A step mother is the wife of one's father.  I guess if they want to call you step mom, go for it, but that's the actual definition.  Otherwise you're their father's girlfriend.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shaylyn318
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

In my opinion? Yes you have to be married to be called SM. Until then you are just a girlfriend.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

One of my exes girlfriends tried to call herself step mom to my child (she tried to pick him up for visitation for my ex and when I refused she said "well I am his step mom) I put her ass in her place. I told her that she won't be step mom to my child until she marries my ex. They didn't even make it another month.

IamDB
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

A step mother is the wife of one's father.  I guess if they want to call you step mom, go for it, but that's the actual definition.  Otherwise you're their father's girlfriend.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

technically you are not step-mom unless you are married to dad. But if you have been together for quite some time and kids are growing up around you than step-mom is out of respect. 

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)