Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have to be married to be considered a " STEP MOM " ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Even though we are not...can I still be called the step mom ?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
Sondi7
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Why does the title matter?

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You can consider yourself anything you want.  No one can define your family and the role you play in your family but YOU.

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Yes, you should be. I wouldn't want my child calling someone anything with "mom" in the title when she hasn't even made a true commitment to their father. As someone who IS a stepmom, I would never have allowed my SS to call me his SM before we were married. Until then you're just Dad's CURRENT GF.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM
My stepmom became my stepmom after giving birth to my brother, she never married my dad and they split up, she is still my stepmom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No, you are not a step mom if you are not married. Step mom means "father's wife" so since you are not married, you are just dad's girlfriend, which has no tittle.

kzuehlk
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I'm not legally a step mom, but I am in every other sense of the word. I've been with my SO for over six years now and have been raising his son full time since he was 3. We have no desire to get married, but we have a wonderful little family and function just like a married couple would. I consider myself a step mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KZuz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I think it matters more about the relationship with the children, how they feel about it and if she's good to the kids.
ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have referred to my dad's ex as my step mom. It's just so much easier than saying my dad's girlfriend or saying step brother instead of my dad's fiance's son. It's just simpler this way. I don't exactly hold a special meaning to it.

madpenguin33
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Legally, no. Just dad's gf. I've been with my SO fOr 6 .5 years now and I don't call myself stepmom. Howevrr his kids call me their stepmom. When school stuff or when I'm talking about the kids to people, I address myself as SO's girlfriend but people don't seem to grasp the concept and I'm stepmom.
hplesha
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Df has been taking care of ds for 6 years now. Ds gma and dad keep telling ds that my df isn't his dad or step dad until we get married. Kind of annoying. Plus it isn't my fault he took on the role and they only come pick up ds when they feel like it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)