Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have to be married to be considered a " STEP MOM " ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Even though we are not...can I still be called the step mom ?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
Luna091306
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My dh's kids and ex all referred to me as the stepmom before dh and I were married. I think it all depends on the situation and what everyone is comfortable with.

calleigh0709
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Before I married my husband his kids told me they consider me their step mom. They don't call me mom and I'm fine with that. They have a mom. I guess it just depends on how his kids feel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Because he hasn't asked me yet

Quoting Anonymous:

Then why don't you get married?

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

My SKs consider me their SM and I consider them my SKs. My SO and I aren't married.

pampire
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

That's up to each family to decide.  Skid turns to me for advice and comfort so I am certainly like a step-mom, though I prefer the term bonus mom.

skittlefart
by Taste the Rainbow on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

imo, you have to be married to be a sm. 

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Um, yes. You have to be married to be stepmother otherwise, you are daddy's girlfriend.
Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My SO and I have been together for 12 years. 

SO calls me his wife and/or The Boss

His daughters call me Step-mom, Bitch, and Mom in that order of child. (I call all of them MINE but signify occasionally because of age I am really not old enough to be the oldest bio mother)

SO's mom calls me his Lady-Friend but asks me to call her Mom. LOL I tell her she can call me his wife is she likes but I don't think she has ever really heard me since she has hearing issues heheh.

My son calls SO by his name.

My daughter calls SO by his name or Dad on special occasions or when she is buttering him up for something.

All the kids call SO's mom Grandma

And finally I call SO by either his name, husband, boyfriend, significant other, or Dickhead depending on the day and how I'm feeling.

Think it all depends on the person and how they feel individually.  We are family and when the end of the day comes, thats ALL that matters.

~~~There are two theories for arguing with me. Neither one works.~~~

sstef126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I consider myself my exboyfriends children my step kids because I love them. I have been there for them for 2 1/2 years. It is easy to get them to doctors and deal with school issues if you are considered the step mom. No issues with that for us...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Wow, that speak volumes, he has let his kids get so close to you that they already think of you as a SM yet he hasn't even asked you?

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

Because he hasn't asked me yet

Quoting Anonymous:

Then why don't you get married?

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

My SKs consider me their SM and I consider them my SKs. My SO and I aren't married.

pudgepocalypse
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM
You're dads girlfriend. Not stepmom. You're not the stepmom until you marry dad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)