Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher requiring certain items for holiday party!

Posted by   + Show Post
My stepson's teacher sent home a letter saying that my child was required to bring plates and napkins to his Valentine's party.

I was like "uh, required?"

What if I have to work that day?

What if I'm short on cash?

What if I planned to donate something else?

What happens to my child if he doesn't bring those specific items?

What if biomom had gotten the letter? She would have thrown it away.

Fortunately I am able to abide by this.

BUT I thought it was really rude. Especially from a teacher I've met once in August before she took the whole first semester off.

How would you react to seeing that letter?

My kiddo is in KG by the way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
kdizzlej
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
DD had the same thing sent home but we needed to bring cheese cubes. I don't see what the big deal is.
kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I just got annoyed by the term "required"

He's 5, he's not required to do anything. It falls to the parents, and I should have been informed in advance.

Quoting LyTe684:

My sons old school would do that. But they would send the note home the day before the event. I stopped participating. When they questioned me.. I told them I don't sit around waiting for their last minute demands. You want it? Buy it with the damn tuition I pay you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I would be going to the teacher an telling them I just cannot have the added expense. I already bought in the required supplies and I am on a limited budget.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM
My mom would have been happy. She hated sending us in with food because we rode the bus and it was always taken from us. That, and it'd be cheaper than buying food items.
robsgurl_23
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

my daughters bring home letters like that if they are doing a special project like when my youngest did ginger bread houses in school a letter was sent home with all the kids in the class and beside their name was 1 item to have your child bring it. I don't mind casue all children were expected to bring in 1 thing and there was also a note saying if you were not able to send in the spacific item to let the teacher know. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I would have happily brought plates or napkins. It's for my child.

If you are short on cash or planned to bring something else, then just call or email the teacher.

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Seriously?

It amazes me the amount of parents who are unwilling to participate in their kids classes or send supplies or contribute in other ways.

And before you ask- I'm class mom for my sons class. So yes, not only do I send supplies and other necessities as requested but I also participate in the class.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I understand exactly how you feel.

Quoting kappalopokis:

I just got annoyed by the term "required"

He's 5, he's not required to do anything. It falls to the parents, and I should have been informed in advance.

Quoting LyTe684:

My sons old school would do that. But they would send the note home the day before the event. I stopped participating. When they questioned me.. I told them I don't sit around waiting for their last minute demands. You want it? Buy it with the damn tuition I pay you.

kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
No.

She has been teaching his class for all of 3 weeks.

Quoting GLO682:

they normally have the kids take turns bringing things in. im sure if you were unable to provide the items listed, the proper thing to do would be to let the teacher know that way she can assign it to someone else.

plates and napkins cost about 1 dollar each at the school store.

its valentines and im sure they had halloween parties and christmas parties, it may very well just be your childs turn in rotation.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I think i would be offended if they didnt give me any options. That it and being so late
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN