Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher requiring certain items for holiday party!

Posted by   + Show Post
My stepson's teacher sent home a letter saying that my child was required to bring plates and napkins to his Valentine's party.

I was like "uh, required?"

What if I have to work that day?

What if I'm short on cash?

What if I planned to donate something else?

What happens to my child if he doesn't bring those specific items?

What if biomom had gotten the letter? She would have thrown it away.

Fortunately I am able to abide by this.

BUT I thought it was really rude. Especially from a teacher I've met once in August before she took the whole first semester off.

How would you react to seeing that letter?

My kiddo is in KG by the way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (161-169):
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM
What is up with these teachers and last minute request? We got an email today around two about the vday party that I was told by the teacher wouldn't be happening when I asked two weeks ago. My DD is in a split class with 40kids and they asked the kids what their parents would like to make and my DD signed me up for 40 cupcakes that are expected tomorrow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karlie2
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM
FFS . People It doesn't matter what teachers try to do some parents got to pitch. What? You want me to contribute in some way to my child's education? How dare you?
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Sure.

I'm pretty sure these same parent have cable..drink soda...eat when they aren't starving and have Internet.

Plus they could always do this little thing called picking up the phone and letting they teacher know they can't afford $4 a couple times a year.

Quoting kappalopokis:

I live in an incredibly low income town.

My dh and I make a combined 33K yearly, and are considered "upper class" in this town. Because we actually work.

A lot of parents simply would not be willing to spend their money on a class party

Quoting mich.el.le:

Oh, good grief. People get offended over the dumbest things.

MissLoveLyfe
by ShellBell on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I would react by going to the dollar store and buying napkins and plates if I was short on cash.. If I had extra I would get nice Valentines themed plates and napkins.... Wouldn't bother me in the least. I had to get Cups, candy and cards for my DDs party.. She's in KG as well.

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM

This is common practice in my daughter's public school. We also provide snacks for the entire class once a month. 

The teacher usually has extra snacks and supplies in case a kid's parents don't supply them. I asked my daughter. There have been a few times this has happened to other students. Now I always try to provide extras on our days so the teacher can store them for this purpose. 

I don't see it as rude at all. 

karlie2
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Quoting TresHijas111825:

What lesson will it teach? Not to bother having class parties because the parents are going to whine like babies if they (gasp) have to contribute something?
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I'd send them.  If I were short on money, I'd go to the Dollar Tree.

But I was the type of mom who also asked ahead of time.."do you need me to send anything for the party?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Good thing there are other unselfish parents don't feel the same way! You're only hurting your kid.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, Im not.  But Im not responsible for stocking a class room either.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are a bitch!

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive always written NOPE in big letters across the letters and sent them back.  If they ASK I gladly send whatever I can and more.

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I sent $5.00 on Fri last week. $2.00 for party this Fri and $3.00 so dd could wear a jean skirt. She wears uniforms at her school and this Fri was a day set by the prom commitee to wear jeans/jean skirts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)