Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher requiring certain items for holiday party!

Posted by   + Show Post
My stepson's teacher sent home a letter saying that my child was required to bring plates and napkins to his Valentine's party.

I was like "uh, required?"

What if I have to work that day?

What if I'm short on cash?

What if I planned to donate something else?

What happens to my child if he doesn't bring those specific items?

What if biomom had gotten the letter? She would have thrown it away.

Fortunately I am able to abide by this.

BUT I thought it was really rude. Especially from a teacher I've met once in August before she took the whole first semester off.

How would you react to seeing that letter?

My kiddo is in KG by the way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yes and we get those kind of letters too. So what you are helping out for your child's class party. Know if she was telling me what to get her for Valentine's day gift. I would be upset. But I am happy to help out with items for a party for the class.

adulation
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My daughter's teacher sends a little home the week before with the item they need me to bring and require me to sign off on either "yes" or "no". That way he knows what items no one will be able to bring, and I guess he has to bring them himself?

I think it's fine as long as they give you a few days notice.

becky1109
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

i dont know i see it all the time i have 2 dd's 1st and 2nd grade-been in school since head start. kinda used to it. its to kind of put balance in the classrooms- some parents will not send in things which puts it on her out of her pocket. so i do get it, if im ever short on cash or cant make it, i will make sure as a mom that i get it there the day before or i borrow the money! thats just how i am though

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM
That and i budget for the supplies for the supplies needed and if i dont budget ahead of time i may not have the cash for them
Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would just send what shes asking for, they are having a party and need stuff. I mean how good would the party be if all the parents in the class decided to send plates and forks? 

kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Johnson county tn. The estimated median household income last I checked was $26,000 and something.

Quoting taminick32:

So you and your husband only make minimum wage and that's upper class for your area?

Where do you live Haiti?

Quoting kappalopokis:

I live in an incredibly low income town.

My dh and I make a combined 33K yearly, and are considered "upper class" in this town. Because we actually work.

A lot of parents simply would not be willing to spend their money on a class party

Quoting mich.el.le:

Oh, good grief. People get offended over the dumbest things.

GLO682
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

if she didn't assign particular items to the students individually, she would end up with ten of the same thing. if it is an issue for the family, i am sure the teacher would have someone else bring it in.

it is a little last minute, that would be my only gripe.

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
The only thing that would bug me is it being so last minute.
kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
True.

Quoting Mel0dy:

I would just send what shes asking for, they are having a party and need stuff. I mean how good would the party be if all the parents in the class decided to send plates and forks? 

RightSock
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I expect things like that close to holidays. They have holiday parties. I expect to chip in. No biggie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN