Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Working moms, do you ever wish you were a SAHM?

I used to be a SAHM, but 2 years ago I went back to work after the kids became old enough not to need me at home. I just had a 6 week lay off (it happens every year, so it's not a big deal) and I enjoyed being home SO much. My house was so clean, I was back to making gourmet meals, and I had energy to play games with my kids. When I work I only clean my house 2 days a week and only cook 2 days a week (my days off) and I am so exhausted I just want to come home and put my feet up. I feel like I am missing out on so much. DH makes more than enough to support us without my income, but he wants me to work so we can have extra money for vacations and other luxuries. But he did say if I get pregnant I can go back to staying at home, he hates the thought of his kid ever having to be in daycare. We ARE trying, so who knows...

Anywho, do you ever wish you could stay at home, or are you happy working?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommyBear28
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I'm a sahm with a college doctorate degree, so I can go back anytime if I want! But I think I am gonna wait till all the kids are in school full time before I go back to work! It's actually not necessary for me to go back at all since my hubby makes over 4x the salary I had when I was working! But I think I should keep busy once all the kiddies are in school! 

MommyBear28
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

What is your job!? 

Quoting ColieO:

Hell no. I love my job.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I sell cell phones lol.

Quoting MommyBear28:

What is your job!? 

Quoting ColieO:

Hell no. I love my job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I thought I was happy working then I got laid off I was devastated but after a few weeks decided I never wanted to work again so we made that happen
carterjacksmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Very happy working! As bad as it sounds I do not think I could be a SAHM!

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

LOL! No. My "kids" are only step, although I have raised them for the past 7 years. I really want one of my own. We have been trying for 6 1/2 years. Just found out I wasn't ovulating though and now I am on meds that make me ovulate. Doctor said it could take 3-6 months before we are pregnant. This my 4th month. Hopefully this is our month.

Quoting happinessforyou:

You're not TTC so you can stay home are you???

I never wanted to stay home forever, so no, I never was sorry that I went back to work. I still cook/clean etc.. you just have to get really good at organizing/scheduling and delegating. :) GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Once in a while I wish I could be home.  Mostly I wish I had more paid time off work so that I could take off to go to my kids' class parties & take more vacations during summer.  But I have so little time off that I have to save it all for when my kids get sick.  It sucks to think that the only time I get to be home with them is the weekends or when they are sick.  But I would not want to stay at home full time.  I really enjoy the work that I do, where as I really do NOT enjoy domestic things like cooking & cleaning.  I would rather do work that I enjoy & get paid enough that I can pay someone else to do things I don't enjoy, such as cleaning my house.  I also need the social interaction and the sense of accomplishment and self-worth that my work affords me.  I know I would get depressed if I stayed at home all day every day, and in turn I wouldn't be a very good mother to my children if I were depressed.  I started to feel that way in staying home for 9 weeks after my oldest child was born.  I was definitely ready to return to work by then.  So ultimately I would say, yes, I am happy working.

leavinglasvegas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

There are things I'd like to do with my kids that I can't do because I work. They are 5 and 3 and have both had in-home care since they were 3 months old then went to daycare full-time at 3 yo and 1yo respectively.

But my job comes with retirement and other investments, so it gives me an opportunity to give them a better future. I work from home 50 hours a week and the house only gets cleaned on the weekends, but I make dinner every night. I am here in case they get sick at school and I occasionally chaperone field trips and things - so even though I work, I think we make the best of it.

And there is many a Sunday night in which I think *Back to school with you tomorrow!" 

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Nope.  Not at all.  My mind would go crazy.  No way I could be a SAHM.  I enjoy my career, I enjoy brining in my fair share and contributing to our household.  By working and doubling our income I can provide a better quality of life for my children.  Meanwhile teaching my daughter that you can be a good wife & mother while maitaining a career.   By the way...my house is clean, my laundry done.  We all pitch in.

Josie_P
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

No. I am extremely happy working. I'll be home for a while for maternity leave and I'm honestly not sure how I'll manage lol. I've already asked to be given some work during my time off so I will definitely be working from home. I don't think I'm cut to be a SAHM. I admire SAHMs but it's just not something I could ever do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)