Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So mad at my kids school right now.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

My dd has eczema. It is normal and not contagious. She gets out breaks and we take care of it.  I got a call from the school that I had to pick her up and take her to the dr because of a rash. I get there and sure enough it is er eczema. They told me that even if it cleared up she would not be allowed on school grounds with out a note saying that she was not contagious. So I take her spend the money I was going to use to fix our car on a dr visit to be told she still has eczema it does not go away she will have out breaks all I can do is treat them and try to minimize the amount of outbreaks she has. Everything we had put on the drs note last time the school sent her home for the same thing.

I am just pissed. Is she suppose to miss school every time her skin gets dry? It is a very mild out break. She does not get bad out breaks.At this rate I am going to be spending 700 a year to get told by the dr that she still has eczema and that it is not contagious.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Yea, I'd be upset too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm sorry :( I'm pretty sure it's just the schools policy. 

I can see where that could get irritating. I hope your daughters eczema gets better!

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM
8 moms liked this

Why not copy the original note-and d=send it in every time they call?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Jessy613:

I'm sorry :( I'm pretty sure it's just the schools policy. 

I can see where that could get irritating. I hope your daughters eczema gets better!

Not when it is known that they have this issue. Some kids get out breaks every week. It would be stupid to have a policy saying that a kid has to go in once a week over something that will not harm other kids.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM
That's stupid. I'd be pissed too.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

That's ridiculous she should be able to go to school if she isn't contagious.

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I'd be pissed. Time to move upward on the ladder to why the school keeps sending her home. principal, superintendent, school board.

Op can you cover it while at school with bandages or something? I don't know much about eczema but I know its not contagious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Quoting happinessforyou:

Why not copy the original note-and d=send it in every time they call?

I made them take a photo copy of this one and told them I would bring in Drs files showing that this is not the first time that they made me take her out of school for it.

What I do not get is if they miss 6 days of school the state can press charges against me and send me to jail, but if I have to come get her from school every time she goes through this she will miss more than 6 days this month.  

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I would ask the princpal if you could have a meeting with the teachers and school nurse.  They have policies they have to follow, and the only way to change those or get an "exception" made for you is to talk to them and educate them.

Bring pamphlets on eczema, and prepare a slideshow of pictures of her skin during outbreaks over the years.  Tell them what the eczema rash looks like, how it starts, how it is treated, and the usual progression stages your DD experiences.

To really pack a punch, have slides of other "rash illnesses" like chicken pox and hives, and show them how those rashes differ from the eczema rash.

Then ask them if it is possible for them to work with you on the rash issue.  Explain you don't want her spending a good chunk of her school career going to doctors to explain the same issue again and again.  For one, you don't want her missing that much school and for two, you don't want her to start to feel singled out because of her condition.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'd be pissed. Time to move upward on the ladder to why the school keeps sending her home. principal, superintendent, school board.

Op can you cover it while at school with bandages or something? I don't know much about eczema but I know its not contagious.

No it covers her arms from shoulders to wrists. I will see if I can find a picture of someone going through an out break that is as mild as my dds. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN