Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

babies don't "just cry"!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

sorry, just a small rant.

I know I'm new to the "mom" thing and that my DS is only 7 weeks so, no, I do not know everything nor do I claim to...

But I do know that babies don't "just cry" without a reason. I just want to shake the girl (yes, girl) that said this to me at the doctors office. (I know I have no right to judge, but here I go)

Her baby was sucking her fist and showing clear signs of being hungry then started screaming her little head off. The mom wouldn't get off her phone long enough to even glance down at the poor baby. She looked at my son who was contently sitting in my lap and said, "I can't believe how calm he is, all this one does is just cry"

I so wanted to go off on this girl and say, "Babies don't just cry and your daughter is clearly hungry!!"

So, to the dumb women who think that your baby is just crying for no reason, either A) you're not getting what the baby is trying to tell you, B) your baby needs to see a doctor because something is going on and you're not getting it, C) You're just not very good at understanding your child.

*steps off soapbox*

ETA: I like how so many of you are pulling out the "colic" card--hmmm colic sounds like a reason to me since  they cry BECAUSE of colic

So, once again I say, babies don't cry just for the fun of it. It's their communication tool and if you can't tell that, I'm sorry for your children.

Also, while my DS is my first child, I raised my nephew (he was 2 when DH and I took them in) and my niece (she was a month).

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Replies (61-70):
MamaRae85
by *you're on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

*giggles from behind the bushes*

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

"Kicks Soap box out from underneath you and then backs out of post"

Moe1521
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Also, babies suck on their hands for more than just being hungry. It could be a comfort thing in which sucking on their hand is the equivalent of a thumb or pacifier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

sorry to tell you but yes sometimes baby do "just cry" to cry

reava
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I swear my 4 month old cries out of boredom. My oldest never did this but he does. As long as he is up doing something he is happy but if he is laying down or no one is interacting with him he cries.

And to OP. You'll learn lol. Just wait. :)

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Anonymous:

Babies do sometimes just cry. I agree THAT baby may have been hungry but babies tend to cry due to seperation anxiety or being bored even. Your baby is still little, give it time and you will understand. Plus, sucking is a normal coping mechanism for infants. My daughter could suck on her paci for hours for comfort and not for nutrition, same for ds at the breast.

I had a baby that I swear cried from boredom. My oldest.  He'd stop if we went outside for a walk.  I also have a theory that some colicky babies have a dim awareness that they are helpless and can't stand it.  Not all colicky babies...some might have digestive issues of course...just some.  But my theory holds a little evidence...babies stop being colicky usually by 3 months when they can hold their heads up and interact more with the world around them.  It's just a theory anyhow.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yes, sometimes they do 'just cry'. Just like moody adults do. We've all had days like that!

Luna091306
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My ds had GERD and he would cry inconsolably for hours. Holding him, changing him, and feeding him didn't work.

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

This

Quoting summer11baby:

I agree with you 100%. Yes, some babies do have colic. My daughter used to cry from 6-8 pm but I still did everything in my power to make sure her every need was met. And I never put her down when she was crying. Babies only way of communication is through crying, why would I walk away when my baby clearly needs me. She outgrew that fussy period by 3 months but it was still hard on her, I could tell that she was upset and needed her mama to hold her and comfort her. And to me, even with just a 7 week old, you sound like a better mom than many of the mothers I have met. Keep up the good work! :)

Alison82
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I agree some moms are totally oblivious, BUT...some babies are just very colicy. Both of my girls were like that. They didn't want to sleep, eat or be held. 

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Out of my 4 children I had one who would " just cry" at about the same time every evening for about an hour or so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Must love the judgemental know it all moms!

First of all maybe her baby is colicky which would be she cries all the time, yup just cries.

My DD ate her hand, fingers, fist, toes everything ALL the time.  Even when she wasn't hungry.  So what you saw is NOT a clear sign of a baby being hungry.

Grow up, glad you have a perfectly easy baby that doesn't have colic & gives you clear cut signs to his needs ALL the time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)