Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog vs Child

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Scenario:

You've had a dog for 6 years. The dog is sweet and lovable unless in a social situation and it becomes aggressive. To the point your vet says the dog needs an anti anxiety pill.

You become pregnant and bring the baby home. Dog is very unhappy. The dog growls at the baby. Always.

Baby is now mobile and the dog still is vicious towards the child. To the point you separate the baby from the dog just incase.. Baby begins walking. Baby falls into dog. Dog snaps at child.

My question is what is your next move? This isn't pit bull related. This is happening with my friend and I told her she needs to get rid of the dog. I'm now Satan. It' bee nover s year and if anything the dog is more aggressive now than a year ago. What is she going to do if that dog really gets a hold of her child?? I just think its a bad idea. They have 2 dogs. The other dog loves their child and will growl at the other dog almost protecting the baby.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
amberstars
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I love dogs but I would rehome it to someone who doesn't have kids.  I'd have to protect my child first.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I feel really bad for her bc she loves her dogs so much. They've even had someone come to their house (some kind of trainer) for a month and that still didn't work. I mean at this point it is her fault if their child is harmed. She didn't like me saying that. Her husband and everyone else support her decision to try a little longer. It's been a year. I don't get it.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I don't believe in re-homing animals usually, but in this case, it seems like it would be best for everyone. If they have tried whatever they could to lessen the aggression and it's still an issue, I don't see how they would have any other choice. Their child could be in serious danger.

Bells2000
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Find a new home for the dog!

What happens when the dog physically mames or kills the kid??? How will the friend feel then?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
209mom4you
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Shoot the dog and Dig it a hole
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ladysamanda
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Tschus puppy. Get it outta there, people don't seem to realize your priorities are your kids, not your pets.

ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Bye bye dog!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You find a childless home for the dog.  Duh! 

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

DOg is gone.

I had a carefully managed fear biter before DS.  It was so sad, and not her fault.... I would have had to euth her if she'd still been alive when my child was born.  It would have borken my heart, but.... babies first.  :(

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I am a huge dog fan.  I am crazy about my dog.  That dog would be rehomed to a home without children.  She is playing with fire.

Shaylyn318
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Get rid of the dog. Children come first over any pet. The only exception in my opinion is if the child is tormenting the animal. Then it is the parents fault for letting the kid be a brat and the animal isn't at fault. In your case though that dog needs to GO! Rehome it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured