Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog vs Child

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Scenario:

You've had a dog for 6 years. The dog is sweet and lovable unless in a social situation and it becomes aggressive. To the point your vet says the dog needs an anti anxiety pill.

You become pregnant and bring the baby home. Dog is very unhappy. The dog growls at the baby. Always.

Baby is now mobile and the dog still is vicious towards the child. To the point you separate the baby from the dog just incase.. Baby begins walking. Baby falls into dog. Dog snaps at child.

My question is what is your next move? This isn't pit bull related. This is happening with my friend and I told her she needs to get rid of the dog. I'm now Satan. It' bee nover s year and if anything the dog is more aggressive now than a year ago. What is she going to do if that dog really gets a hold of her child?? I just think its a bad idea. They have 2 dogs. The other dog loves their child and will growl at the other dog almost protecting the baby.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
OP, I would definitely have given that dog away long ago. Quoted PP, that just seems wrong somehow, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she won't get rid of the dog, there is a "de fanging " process which blunts 4 of the dogs teeth so it can NOT bite. It can still bruise if it wanted too, but the process flattens the biting teeth so they won't go thru flesh.

An owner whose bite-happy dog couldn’t be rehabilitated by the Dog Whisperer writes about turning to “canine disarming” in the Los Angeles Times.

The procedure involves cutting away 4 millimeters off each of the dog’s four canines, using a laser, and smoothing the ends over. The same is done to the dog’s extra set of pointy incisors.

Vicious dogDr. Gail Golab, head of the American Veterinary Medical Assn., says that disarming dogs was once fairly common, but that it fell out of favor several years ago as behavioral modification techniques improved. The association is opposed to either tooth removal or disarming, primarily on the grounds that neither addresses the underlying cause of aggression and may lull owners into a false confidence that the animal can no longer inflict injury.

The American Veterinary Dental College agrees that disarming is controversial, but in a position statement adopted in 2005 it endorsed the procedure in “selected cases.”

It cost Diane R. Krieger, owner of Cotton, a 6-year-old American Eskimo, $1,600 to have the procedure done, but she considered it a better option than defanging (complete removal of the canines), euthanasia, or even giving up the dog — no shelter would take it because of its history.

Advocates say the biggest effect of canine disarming is psychological, that the dog realizes its main weapons are gone, leading to a dose of humility and submission.

As for Cotton, he seems to be in denial. When he gets the opportunity, he still pounces at any man who ventures onto our property. A few days after the disarming, our gardener Guadalupe Davila obligingly offered his booted foot for Cotton’s delectation. After 30 seconds of ferocious gnawing, Cotton had only succeeded in lightly scoring the thick leather.

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

This is a no-brainer...see ya Snoopy!

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
We had to get rid of a cat like this. The cat thought dds room and specifically under her crib was his area. The other cat and two dogs had no issues. One day dd had started crawling and crawled into her room. The cat went nuts, hissing and growling acting like it was going to attack. Taking him to the humane society was hard but had to be done. We tried everything to make it work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

my lab was very very leary of my son until he started walking and got stable. then he became very possesive of him. snap is a warning bite is dog goes by by. some dogs just get nervous around babies. My lab got nervous everytime the baby cried and would go to his kennel. his safe haven. he was a great dog and when the child got older the dog got very protective of him. so personally I would keep the dog.

smushy79
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I agree with you. Get rid of the dog. My children's safety comes first.

LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

The dog would be gone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I almost got rid of a dog not because he snapped at my children but because if I tried to move him off my bed for example he'd snap at me.  I feared for the children once they started walking because I was afraid they might get bit.  He got killed before I could make up my mind what to do about him.  Hit by a car ON LEASH no less.  I was saddened that he was killed but secretly relieved because the children were safe now.

I'd not let it get that far you see.  The first time that dog looked at my kid cross eyed it would be gone.

NiCo86
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I would have gotten rid of the dog when I first brought the baby home knowing it was aggressive.

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
You re train the dog
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Dog would have been gone when it was growling at my infant. Sorry I'm an animal lover, but if you have an animal that had that much aggression before baby came along, needing pills just to curb the aggression, bringing a baby into that home with the dog wouldn't be an option, the dog would've been rehomed before baby came home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)