Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog vs Child

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Scenario:

You've had a dog for 6 years. The dog is sweet and lovable unless in a social situation and it becomes aggressive. To the point your vet says the dog needs an anti anxiety pill.

You become pregnant and bring the baby home. Dog is very unhappy. The dog growls at the baby. Always.

Baby is now mobile and the dog still is vicious towards the child. To the point you separate the baby from the dog just incase.. Baby begins walking. Baby falls into dog. Dog snaps at child.

My question is what is your next move? This isn't pit bull related. This is happening with my friend and I told her she needs to get rid of the dog. I'm now Satan. It' bee nover s year and if anything the dog is more aggressive now than a year ago. What is she going to do if that dog really gets a hold of her child?? I just think its a bad idea. They have 2 dogs. The other dog loves their child and will growl at the other dog almost protecting the baby.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'd shoot that dog in the face.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Well if it were me. The dog would have to go. I am not chancing anything happening to my child.

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
This!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I would have began training the agression out of the dog at its first sign,

but say for some reason none of that worked, I would seek a home for the dog, even if I had to foot its expenses.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yikes. Bet that's crazy expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she won't get rid of the dog, there is a "de fanging " process which blunts 4 of the dogs teeth so it can NOT bite. It can still bruise if it wanted too, but the process flattens the biting teeth so they won't go thru flesh.

An owner whose bite-happy dog couldn’t be rehabilitated by the Dog Whisperer writes about turning to “canine disarming” in the Los Angeles Times.

The procedure involves cutting away 4 millimeters off each of the dog’s four canines, using a laser, and smoothing the ends over. The same is done to the dog’s extra set of pointy incisors.

Vicious dogDr. Gail Golab, head of the American Veterinary Medical Assn., says that disarming dogs was once fairly common, but that it fell out of favor several years ago as behavioral modification techniques improved. The association is opposed to either tooth removal or disarming, primarily on the grounds that neither addresses the underlying cause of aggression and may lull owners into a false confidence that the animal can no longer inflict injury.

The American Veterinary Dental College agrees that disarming is controversial, but in a position statement adopted in 2005 it endorsed the procedure in “selected cases.”

It cost Diane R. Krieger, owner of Cotton, a 6-year-old American Eskimo, $1,600 to have the procedure done, but she considered it a better option than defanging (complete removal of the canines), euthanasia, or even giving up the dog — no shelter would take it because of its history.

Advocates say the biggest effect of canine disarming is psychological, that the dog realizes its main weapons are gone, leading to a dose of humility and submission.

As for Cotton, he seems to be in denial. When he gets the opportunity, he still pounces at any man who ventures onto our property. A few days after the disarming, our gardener Guadalupe Davila obligingly offered his booted foot for Cotton’s delectation. After 30 seconds of ferocious gnawing, Cotton had only succeeded in lightly scoring the thick leather.

mamalusbear
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

We had a dog and he became aggressive when the new baby arrived.  We found the dog a new home with owners who love and spoil him.  I miss our dog, but it helps to know he's in a good home.  For me choosing between my dog and my child was a no-brainer.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

As much as I love my dogs, if I felt my kids weren't safe with them I would have to find them a new home. And keep the dog crated/penned in the meantime. That woman is an idiot if she refuses to see that the dog is a danger to her children and that she needs to find another solution.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Did she consult a behaviorist? If they tried to train him out of it and it didn't work, then yes the best option is to rehome the dog. But I always believe in trying to fix the problem first.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The dog needs to be rehomed to someone who can work with it with exposure therapy and positive reinforcement.  It's best to do it now before something happens.  It's also not fair to the poor dog to be in a constant state of stress.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My GSD had blunted canines through chewing and age, it happens with some dogs.

I assure you when he accidentally gets a finger or such.

it hurts ilke a mother FFFFFFFFFFF

and if he out right bit someone - there would be bites.

Quoting harehelper:

Yikes. Bet that's crazy expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she won't get rid of the dog, there is a "de fanging " process which blunts 4 of the dogs teeth so it can NOT bite. It can still bruise if it wanted too, but the process flattens the biting teeth so they won't go thru flesh.

An owner whose bite-happy dog couldn’t be rehabilitated by the Dog Whisperer writes about turning to “canine disarming” in the Los Angeles Times.

The procedure involves cutting away 4 millimeters off each of the dog’s four canines, using a laser, and smoothing the ends over. The same is done to the dog’s extra set of pointy incisors.

Vicious dogDr. Gail Golab, head of the American Veterinary Medical Assn., says that disarming dogs was once fairly common, but that it fell out of favor several years ago as behavioral modification techniques improved. The association is opposed to either tooth removal or disarming, primarily on the grounds that neither addresses the underlying cause of aggression and may lull owners into a false confidence that the animal can no longer inflict injury.

The American Veterinary Dental College agrees that disarming is controversial, but in a position statement adopted in 2005 it endorsed the procedure in “selected cases.”

It cost Diane R. Krieger, owner of Cotton, a 6-year-old American Eskimo, $1,600 to have the procedure done, but she considered it a better option than defanging (complete removal of the canines), euthanasia, or even giving up the dog — no shelter would take it because of its history.

Advocates say the biggest effect of canine disarming is psychological, that the dog realizes its main weapons are gone, leading to a dose of humility and submission.

As for Cotton, he seems to be in denial. When he gets the opportunity, he still pounces at any man who ventures onto our property. A few days after the disarming, our gardener Guadalupe Davila obligingly offered his booted foot for Cotton’s delectation. After 30 seconds of ferocious gnawing, Cotton had only succeeded in lightly scoring the thick leather.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Reminds me of declawing a cat. I wouldn't declaw a cat that didn't have aggression issues though either.

Quoting Anonymous:

OP, I would definitely have given that dog away long ago. Quoted PP, that just seems wrong somehow, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)