Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I accidentally fed a child something their allergic to. Now their mom won't let our kids hang out? Advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies

My daughter had a sleepover with her best friend. I have let my daughter go over to her house several times this year. However, I work full time so I havn't had a chance to have the child over to my house. I finally let them over this past weekend. 

My daughter doesn't have allergies and I have literally never had a kid in my home with allergies. Since her mom didn't mention anything about allergies when she dropped her off Saturday (the girl was staying through Sunday to attend church with us Sunday night) I assumed the girl didn't have any. I allowed the girls to help me cook (theye 8) and served the food. The girl didn't object to anything so I didn't know. Long story short, she ate it, reacted and had to be taken to the ER. 

I feel bad, I didn't know. The girl didn't even know. Her mom never told her, just said she couldn't eat the food. No reason why. Of course, the girl didn't tell me this. Nor did her mom. However, the mom won't let the girl hang out with my daughter at all anymore. My daughter is heartbroken and I feel HORRIBLE.

Advice? I apologized and made it clear I didnt know but still nothing...

The girl also did not have an epi pen. thats why she was taken to the hospital. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this
The mom should have told you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
she probable feels incompetent and embarrassed that she didnt make you aware. Jordyn had a friend over the other day and the very first thing I asked her mom was if she was allergic to anything. its common sense really to make sure the person in charge of your child for any period of time is aware of any allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Wow! How scary for that little girl, your daughter and you! I months have any advice, I'm sorry. 

ladysamanda
2 moms liked this

If HER mom honestly didn't tell you about any allergies, then its the other moms fault for not letting you know. Stupid parenting on her part.

jbirdsladie27
1 mom liked this
You apologized , I'd leave it at that.
ecerka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry your daughter is heartbroken. It was Obviously not your or your daughters fault. Have you asked her why she didn't tell you what her child was allergic to?
zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

EESH! sorry mama :< if it was an allergy that required ER attention, it was something the Mother should have mentioned to you!!!!! Also, just to be on the safe side, I always ask whenever I have people over if there are any dietary restrictions or food allergies I need to be aware of? I've just made it a habit of asking. But DON'T BLAME YOURSELF!!!! The Mom made it the girl's responsibility. She was only 8  years old. She probably felt pressured to eat because there were other kids there. The point is an 8 yr old should not be made to be in charge of something that is serious enough to require ER care. That was the Mom's responsibility. She effed up and is taking it out on  you. Don't feel bad :<

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

she probable feels incompetent and embarrassed that she didnt make you aware. Jordyn had a friend over the other day and the very first thing I asked her mom was if she was allergic to anything. its common sense really to make sure the person in charge of your child for any period of time is aware of any allergies.

It never donned on me to ask. This is literally the first time I have taken care of someone elses child other than family.  I will be asking from now on. 

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Her mom should have told you about the allergy. That's scary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

oh wow :( I think the other mom is over reacting. What did you feed her that she was allergic to?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)