Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in FT Daycare

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Moms, if your children are in daycare full time, do you feel like you miss out on a lot?  That you don't see your kids enough?  That you're only a part time parent, if that?  That, maybe, it was pointless to have kids, as you see them so little?

We're friends with a couple who wants to have their third child. Their other two children are in daycare 50-55 hours each week.  I don't get the point of having another child that they'd never see.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Regarding kids in school- they aren't there for 11 hours daily, usually.  This couple drops their DDs off at 7:00am and picks them up at 6:00pm, occasionally 5:00pm.

EDIT 2: I see that some of you "ladies" have chosen to attack me personally instead of answering the above questions.  Stop being so easily offended.  If you have something valid to add about the topic, please do. Calling me judgemental or a bitch, and saying it's none of my business isn't adding anything to the conversation, whether or not it's true.  You're saying it just to make yourselves feel better.  Maybe you could actually try answering the questions?  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
14 moms liked this

Yes. I feel like I miss out on everything. By the time we're all home, eat dinner, take baths, I have a total of like an hour or two a day with them Monday-Thursday. Really sucks.

I was a SAHM for years, but it just wasn't for me. I give credit to the WonderWoman SuperMoms that can do it all day. I'd love just a part time job, but we need the income. I want to be able to provide well for my kids, and to do that I have to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting itsm3:

Um?

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM
44 moms liked this

In my opinion, you are absolutely right. I have four kids and while two of them experienced part time daycare here and there, all four were home more than enough (one still is). Most daycares are just horrible for a child. Nothing replaces a mommy's touch! NOTHING!

Good for you...for being honest with your friend. So many moms on here will say, "But I had to because I couldn't afford to not work!" and so on and so forth. Excuses. My mom and dad raised me...I mean REALLY raised me. We were poor financially but rich in love. I didn't miss the things that other kids got. I didn't care if my clothes were hand me downs. I had what I wanted: my mother home with me!

Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

When the kids were very small, they took 2 naps a day, so that was about 4 hours a day I was paying someone while they slept.  They would have slept at home as well.  My kids were in daycare about 50 hours a week.  As they got older, they enjoyed interacting with the other kids - something they wouldn't have done if they were home with me (I didn't have any kids with friends, except people I worked with, and have no relatives with kids).  My kids LOVED going to daycare (it was in home daycare).

I was a sahm when the 2nd two were little, and I think they missed out on a lot of socialization, learning to play with others, and so on.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Nope
Nope
Nope
And nope

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by Josie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Well, we have a nanny. I guess it's the same. Kinda sorta? I don't feel like I've missed out on anything and I don't think it was pointless in me and my husband deciding to have children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Lol - no I never felt any of those things. I am and have always been super close with my kids.
Sagely
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
25 moms liked this
:-/

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean there's something wrong. Could simply be a problem with your comprehension skills.

I work anywhere from 50-80 hours a week. My daughter not only receives lots of love from her mommy, but from her daddy, her teachers, and anyone else who helps her grow into the amazing, successful woman she will become.

And we are SO excited to welcome our second child this summer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I decided to have a third while my children were in full-time day care. For starters, I did not think that I missed so much that it was not worth having another or the kids lives with day care were not worth living. But also, I knew that the period of day care was a small part of their lives, and the maternity leave gave me more time with them for a small part of that small part. So it kind of balanced out.
Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM
9 moms liked this
Lol - glad my kids went to amazing day care. My dh and I raise our boys - and I mean "really raise them".

Quoting divinedimension:

In my opinion, you are absolutely right. I have four kids and while two of them experienced part time daycare here and there, all four were home more than enough (one still is). Most daycares are just horrible for a child. Nothing replaces a mommy's touch! NOTHING!

Good for you...for being honest with your friend. So many moms on here will say, "But I had to because I couldn't afford to not work!" and so on and so forth. Excuses. My mom and dad raised me...I mean REALLY raised me. We were poor financially but rich in love. I didn't miss the things that other kids got. I didn't care if my clothes were hand me downs. I had what I wanted: my mother home with me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured