Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids in FT Daycare

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Moms, if your children are in daycare full time, do you feel like you miss out on a lot?  That you don't see your kids enough?  That you're only a part time parent, if that?  That, maybe, it was pointless to have kids, as you see them so little?

We're friends with a couple who wants to have their third child. Their other two children are in daycare 50-55 hours each week.  I don't get the point of having another child that they'd never see.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Regarding kids in school- they aren't there for 11 hours daily, usually.  This couple drops their DDs off at 7:00am and picks them up at 6:00pm, occasionally 5:00pm.

EDIT 2: I see that some of you "ladies" have chosen to attack me personally instead of answering the above questions.  Stop being so easily offended.  If you have something valid to add about the topic, please do. Calling me judgemental or a bitch, and saying it's none of my business isn't adding anything to the conversation, whether or not it's true.  You're saying it just to make yourselves feel better.  Maybe you could actually try answering the questions?  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Cool! Does that work for you guys...budget wise & quality time?

Quoting Anonymous:

I pay $400 per month for FT daycare for my 22 month old.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it's kinda silly really unless you're "straight ballin" because daycare cost sooooo much money (at least where I am) and If I were to work full-time like DH, then we would be missing out on $2000 per month (for a newborn or toddler) and that ain't happening! BUT! It seems to work for some families! I'm not against it....just won't be happening in my house ;)

Kylie819
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I only see my daughter in the AM, briefly after school, right before bed and on weekends. She is not in daycare and I do not work FT. I have full custody, too. She has a wonderful life and while I miss her during the day, I wouldn't change a thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

mine is part time day care. I definately wouldn't leave my kids in that many  hours. No point in having them if you do. I understand maybe a single mom out of necessity and that is about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Quoting Sagely:

SMH.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Yes it works out great, daycare is only about 1/8 of my monthly salary and we spend plenty of quality time together on evenings and weekends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it's kinda silly really unless you're "straight ballin" because daycare cost sooooo much money (at least where I am) and If I were to work full-time like DH, then we would be missing out on $2000 per month (for a newborn or toddler) and that ain't happening! BUT! It seems to work for some families! I'm not against it....just won't be happening in my house ;)

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids were never in daycare. My sister had three kids and they were  in daycare. Sometimes until 6 at night. She worked her butt off so they could have a good life. 

RMC007
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM
37 moms liked this

You're dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Stay at home on PA because you don't want to put your kids in day care---- you are a lazy piece of shit.

Put your kids in day care because you can't afford to stay home--- you are not raising your child.

You can afford to stay home, so you stay home even though you have a degree---- you are a burden to your husband and you threw away your education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have one child and have to get on medicaid to support that one child, then you really shouldn't pop out another or even be planning it. But yes, it's better overall to be on medicaid if you have to and work part time to do your part if you can. Children needs their parents with them, at least ONE part time at the very least. It doesn't make anyone less of a mom, it's just simply not fair for the kids to have moms and dads working fulltime.

Quoting Anonymous:

So would think its better for one parent to stay home and then they have to get food stamp and Medicaid? There is nothing wrong parents working to support their family a still wanting to expand their family.

I am a SAHM right now but I have been a working mom too! Yes I missed my ds while I was a work but it didn't make me any less of a mom than I am now staying at home.

Aloysious
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, you're just opening a can of worms with this one.  It's really none of your business how another family raises their kids.

I feel that even though I missed out on some things with my first-who was in daycare full time from 6 weeks, I never felt like I didn't see him enough.  With my second, I was able to stay home with him, and when he started part time daycare, I savored those days away.  I've done both, and I can honestly say I was a better mother when I didn't spend every farking minute with my kids.  I was a better mother/wife/human when my world involved more than my kids, my husband, and my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome. You have a great balance!..I wish some people that have responded to this post could read our convo :) Lot's of people are unnecessarily bashing each other..for what ya' kno. Everyone is entitled to run their household however they see fit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it works out great, daycare is only about 1/8 of my monthly salary and we spend plenty of quality time together on evenings and weekends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)