Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Needing some fun preschool learning activities

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son turned 4 last month

He was in a head start program, but I've pulled him out for several reasons.

His weaknesses are his fine motor skills and his writing/drawing/coloring

So far I have:

Construction paper

Dry erase tablet with things to learn how to draw numbers, letters and shapes

Oodles of play-doh

A poster board that I used foam letters to trace the ABCs on, he matches the foam letter to its outline (he LOVES matching games)

A root veggie kit where it has a window to actually show the veggies underground

I can't do online games, I only have a certain amount of internet usage a month and any kind of video zaps that down. 

Any ideas, tips or websites are greatly appriciated ^_^ I do work, but I don't work until afternoons usually, so I have all morning to spend with him

We dance around the living room to classic rock
We play patty-cake with his feet
We're sillier than Spongebob & Patrick
We go together like PB & J
We're mother and son
And we're so cool, we make ice cubes jealous
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschooled both of my children for preschool.  There are so many things you can do.  First, visit your library.  You can find books with activities and lots of books to read on preschool topics.  Many boys develop their fine motor control later.  Remember they learn best through play.  Keep it fun.  Try to use things they love.  My boys loved legos so I would work our lessons around using legos.  You can teach letters, adding, subtracting, patterns, colors and many other things.  Another thing my boys loved was playing with our globe and putting together giant floor puzzles of a map of the world.  They loved driving their cars on it while I pointed out countries, continents, and oceans.  Put together lots of projects and hands on activities.  I also loved using weekly reader for my children during the early years.  Good luck and feel free to ask me anything.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
One if the things they do with my daughter (5) is they let them take kid scissors and cut up old magazines. Before she used to just chop, chop. Now she can cut out pictures and glue them to paper.

They also have these shape things with holes around the border, it comes with a string. They can thread the string in the holes, around the shape. Melissa & Doug makes them in several different shapes and pictures. I'll try to find a pic so that you can see what I'm talking about lol

Sometimes target has bunches of activity books in their dollar section. My daughter LOVES those. They have all sorts--writing, tracing, numbers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's the shape shoe string thingie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I am working using board games to teach my 4 year old to count. We play Trouble and Chutes and Ladders and Sequence. I also use a deck of card and play concentration with him. Keep it fun. I also give him children's scissors and let him cut out images from magazines and we make cards for family members. I have magnets of the alphabet and numbers 1-20. We make it a contest who can put the numbers and letters in order on the refrigerator.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Pinterest! I've found sooo many wonderful ideas there!

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The board games are great, op you should get Operation to help with his fine motor skills!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am working using board games to teach my 4 year old to count. We play Trouble and Chutes and Ladders and Sequence. I also use a deck of card and play concentration with him. Keep it fun. I also give him children's scissors and let him cut out images from magazines and we make cards for family members. I have magnets of the alphabet and numbers 1-20. We make it a contest who can put the numbers and letters in order on the refrigerator.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about pinterest lol

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Pinterest! I've found sooo many wonderful ideas there!

We dance around the living room to classic rock
We play patty-cake with his feet
We're sillier than Spongebob & Patrick
We go together like PB & J
We're mother and son
And we're so cool, we make ice cubes jealous
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN