Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You don't have to be pretty

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
6 moms liked this

“You Don’t Have to Be Pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female’.” Diana Vreeland

Men don't try to change their bone structure with eyebrow pencils and blush, to plump lips or lengthen lashes. Men have the luxury of grooming and leaving it at that. Be clean, not be pretty.  But we women, we can't just be clean with brushed hair. We have to be pretty, and we judge anyone who isn't. "How dare she wear pajamas to the store?" we say, even if they are clean, unwrinkled, and fit well.  "Why doesn't she do her make up?" and we accuse the clean-faced woman of letting herself go, or of having no self-respect.  Why does Danika Patrick have to wear make up inside her race car? Why do we judge Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin by their looks, their hair, their outfits?  Why ius ugly considered worse than stupid, and why is hot a better compliment than smart?

And yes, I'm going anon. And not because I'm ashamed of this post, but because I really don't want the hassle of a bunch of women telling me I'm just jealous because I'm not as hot as them, or that there's nothing wrong with being pretty (there isn't, but why should it be the first priotity?), or that I must be ugly to post this.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm sorry. I'm pretty. I don't feel your pain.

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hahahahahahahaha!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting Stephd710:

Hahahahahahahaha!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM
12 moms liked this
Because society teaches us to look at men like human beings and to look at women like objects.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Agreed!!!!
jupiter5
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM
True! But damn it's nice to be pretty an it helps you through life ;) handsome is the same way guys just can't hide the ugly as easy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

In nature, the males preen and show color, etc to attract a mate.  Its the opposite for humans but that doesnt make it wrong.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

LovelyMommy24
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Beauty comes from within. 

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Doing makeup and dressing nice makes me feel better about myself. I put time into myself and like what I see. It has nothing to do with other people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)