Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is health insurance an afterthought..."if" we have enough money?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 208 Replies
1 mom liked this
When i got my first job that provided health insurance, i signed up. It was taken out of my check for me, not something i.needed to "pay". Since then, it has neen like every other need/must: taxes, food, housing, heat. When things got rough i canceled.everything i could and health ins. was never even considered. i know i am lucky to have a job that offers ins. and that it isnt extremely expensive. But, when you get a job...or jobs, you do.it to.pay for the things you NEED and THEN the things you want. So why isnt health insurance as important as food/heating/housing, etc.?

I am editing this because people are not understanding. This isn't about choosing one over the other. If you couldnt pay for food, you would get another job, or make cuts elsewhere. Same with housing, but with health insurance... the only way a lot of people will even see a doctor...its all "oh well we cant afford it". That is crazy to me.
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

i don't know. we really can't afford it but can't afford not to have it either. it is easier where it's broken down into each check and it comes out pre tax so you don't feel it as much. Plus you get to subtract it off your income when you file taxes so it puts you in a lower tax bracket.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

paknari
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I'm not sure what some people are thinking. They have cable tv before insurance and then bitch because they something happened and they are going bankrupt. Part of why I would accept a job would be for insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
It's not for me. It's an essential bill like my rent and lights. It's the third bill that's paid because its so important for me to have health insurance. I don't have major medical problems but I do get ear infections and sinus infections often and I need to keep my health insurance.

BTW my job doesn't offer insurance so I pay for the entire premium myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
We HAD amazing health coverage through dh's job. Once the health care reform bill was passed, our copays went up, some things are no longer covered. Our premiums went up too.
just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you 100%.  Health Insurance should be no different than food & shelter.  It's a necessity and should be a priority. 

coleysmama
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Its as impotant as the other things for us. Dh would never take a job without insurance unless we were very desperate which we've never been.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

agree

Quoting just_hc:

I agree with you 100%.  Health Insurance should be no different than food & shelter.  It's a necessity and should be a priority. 

Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM
After my surprise gall bladder infection that resulted in 35k in medical bills. Health insurance is no longer a want but a need. My family would have been screwed if we had to pay for that out of pocket.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I'm uninsured. Can't afford it. So I just have to go hope I don't get sick or injured. and if I do get sick or injured, die. Because we do have life insurance through Dhs job :/ Just not health insurance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM
12 moms liked this

Some people have no choice but to choose between health insurance and food. Food wins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)