Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you know when it's a scam or a legit call?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

Update: They're still calling me. This time I told them to give me the information they had and I would verify if it was correct. They refused to do that saying it was "against company policy". Next time I'm asking for a call back number, which I'm sure they will refuse.

What should I do if they keep calling? The number is blocked so I don't know who it is but is there any way to get them to stop calling me?

Recently, maybe a month ago, I applied for health insurance for myself and my girls. I received a call today. They were claiming to be some group affiliated with my insurance and they wanted to do a survey. The first question was asking me to confirm my birthday. I didn't answer.

I asked the woman again for the name of her company. She gave me the name again and said we're affiliated with your insurance, you didn't get your card yet?

I said no, and that I was not comfortable giving out any information via phone. I'd rather wait until I got the card and confirmed with my insurance company that they were indeed affiliated with this other company before I completed any survey and that survey would be completed at their office, not over the phone.

Another red flag was that she called the house phone, which is a number I did not give them.

She said she understood and hung up.

I hate calls like this because I never know when it's a scam or when it's the actual company calling. To be safe I don't give out any information regardless, but is there a way to tell if it's a scam? Like certain questions you can ask or something?

Thanks ladies, I feel much better. I'm glad I had a right to be concerned and wasn't just being paranoid.

ETA: DH said that it was indeed a scam. I told him they asked for me by name, but that I did not give the insurance company my home number. He also said that if they were legit, then they wouldn't have asked for my birthday. Instead, they would have stated, "We have this down for your birthday 'date here'. Is this correct?" Same for address and other info.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

BUMP!

skittlefart
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure myself, but I can see why you'd be suspicious. 

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you handled that very well. I've never gotten phone calls like that from anywhere, just emails from different 'banks' about accounts... Banks that I don't have an association with whatsoever... I delete em. If you aren't comfortable givin out information trust your guy because you're probably right. Better to be safe than sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you handled it well.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I've gotten calls like that.  I don't answer surveys over the phone.  I hang up on telemarketers and I don't buy any thing from people who come to my door.  

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

You were right to be cautious.  Never give out personal information if they call you.  I always hang up and call a number I have for that company.  If it's legit they have no issue with this.

gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I like your name and pic :)

laughing

Quoting skittlefart:

Not sure myself, but I can see why you'd be suspicious. 

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

tell them you'd be happy to confirm the information that they already have, but you're not providing anything without some proof that they are, indeed, authorized to have it.  then ask for a number you can call them back at; if they can't provide that then I won't even say anything further.  if they do give me a number, I google it to see who it is before I call it back.  there are several sites that allow users to leave feedback about what a phone call was about from a specific number.  I have used them before to determine that a number that kept popping up on my call log but wouldn't leave a message was actually a telemarketer that got my info through my pillowpets purchase.

gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Ah, those are good suggestions! I wish they had come to mind when I was on the phone. I'll definetly keep them in mind though if it ever happens again. Thank you :)

Quoting ff-princess:

tell them you'd be happy to confirm the information that they already have, but you're not providing anything without some proof that they are, indeed, authorized to have it.  then ask for a number you can call them back at; if they can't provide that then I won't even say anything further.  if they do give me a number, I google it to see who it is before I call it back.  there are several sites that allow users to leave feedback about what a phone call was about from a specific number.  I have used them before to determine that a number that kept popping up on my call log but wouldn't leave a message was actually a telemarketer that got my info through my pillowpets purchase.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell them you don't give out personal info over the phone and you submitted the necessary info when you applied for the insurance. IF they have any questions then they can send you a letter in the mail. Just make sure the address is the same as the insurance company  you applied to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)