Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you don't believe in creationism.....

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you believe in regards to the origin of humanity and/or the earth?

This is not a bash post so please do not come here making snide comments and childish remarks. I want this to be an educational dialogue. I am truly interested in what people think about how we came to be. Big Bang? Evolution? Why do you believe it?

eta- please read my reply on pg 8 after you post. 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Replies (201-210):
TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Hmm. Isn't every website there to promote something? Why does everyone say "look at the source" when it comes to debate? The liberals dismiss anything from Fox news, the republicans dismiss things from the MSM. why? If someone is wrong or in opposition with what you believe, then point out the flaws in their statements or arguments. Simple as that. If someone is "biased", does that mean they are not capable of provoking thought? Hardly. Are you afraid of being questioned from someone from the opposition? If you know you are right in something, simply explain your logic. That is all.

BTW, that was the first time that I visited that site. I did not know that it was backed by a religious institution until someone pointed it out. So, I am not trying to push creationism on people. I am simply trying to understand the other side.

eta..I meant to quote the biased website comment. Not sure why it didn't work

TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

best answer so far

Quoting doomshroom:

Don't know. Wasn't there.

TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I've never met someone who thought that a species changes that much in one generation. There are many people who believe in genetic mutations and variations in a species but not that every living thing shares a common ancestor. That is what I'm asking you. '

BTW, I've heard of the Africa thing. Can you provide the link?

Quoting tezell78:

Evolution is just the progression of adaptations and genetic mutations, it's not like generation 1 is a 4 foot tall giraffe and generation 2 is the modern giraffe
Some where on the family tree humans, and the extinct hominid species shared a common ancestor with modern apes.
All hominid species originated in and can be traced back to Africa.

Quoting TinaNicu:

I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to say. Are you saying evolution is just changes and mutations within a species vs. humans, fish, birds, etc all have a common ancestor? And that all people came from africa? Or all life came from africa?

Quoting tezell78:

Adaptation's work on individuals
Evolution works on species.
It took 10,000 years for neandertinsis to die our, yet scientifically, it happened very quickly.

Evolution is just mutations on the gene level and adaptations of the population.
If you don't believe that than explain how the most genetic diversity on the PLANET is in Africa, EVERYONE else can be traced back to the migration out of Africa.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Anonymous:

If evolution did happen then why aren't we as humans still evolving into something else?

What makes you think we're not?

For instance, the lactase gene switch spread about 7000-5000 years ago.   There are buildings older than that.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I "believe in" science.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe in (here it comes) God. I believe He created everything. I also believe, that make, He used evolution to do it. The Bible mentions that He made the earth in 6 days but no where does it mention how long a day is to God. Maybe a day to God is 1000's of years, not 24 hours. 

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I believe in God but I do not believe in religion. I believe God created the universe but I believe he used the big bang and evolution to create it. I dont believe most of the bible because I dont believe it is truly the word of God.

aponder
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Creation, but not 6 literal 24 hour days.

m0mmyheather
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM
It is possible that creationism and evolution to go hand in hand. I'm just one of the few people that admits nobody can really know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tezell78
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
No not every living thing, but the hominids
Around here people tend to believe that evolution is false because " we haven't evolved" or they can not see it.
As far as the Africa link go to Netflix and look up human family tree
Decoding Neanderthals is a good one to.

Quoting TinaNicu:

I've never met someone who thought that a species changes that much in one generation. There are many people who believe in genetic mutations and variations in a species but not that every living thing shares a common ancestor. That is what I'm asking you. '

BTW, I've heard of the Africa thing. Can you provide the link?

Quoting tezell78:

Evolution is just the progression of adaptations and genetic mutations, it's not like generation 1 is a 4 foot tall giraffe and generation 2 is the modern giraffe
Some where on the family tree humans, and the extinct hominid species shared a common ancestor with modern apes.
All hominid species originated in and can be traced back to Africa.

Quoting TinaNicu:

I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to say. Are you saying evolution is just changes and mutations within a species vs. humans, fish, birds, etc all have a common ancestor? And that all people came from africa? Or all life came from africa?

Quoting tezell78:

Adaptation's work on individuals
Evolution works on species.
It took 10,000 years for neandertinsis to die our, yet scientifically, it happened very quickly.

Evolution is just mutations on the gene level and adaptations of the population.
If you don't believe that than explain how the most genetic diversity on the PLANET is in Africa, EVERYONE else can be traced back to the migration out of Africa.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Anonymous:

If evolution did happen then why aren't we as humans still evolving into something else?

What makes you think we're not?

For instance, the lactase gene switch spread about 7000-5000 years ago.   There are buildings older than that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting TinaNicu:

So, essentially, yes, we are limited by our bodies and our senses  in understanding the world around us. We cannot use the scientific method or philosophy or even generate any thought without our brain and nervous system which, as pointed out, is limited in its perceptions. So,  I find it funny that the very "deep" topics that you present were generated solely by the mind in which, itself, is limited. Ironic, I think.

I share your sense of humour.

You may enjoy reading What Is Irony?

Ok, insert "funny" for "ironic". Didn't say I was an English Major. LOL wink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)