Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A different school for allergy freak kids

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
After all these post about you moms with children with like 1,000 allergies (I'm sorry about that btw) there needs to be a different place your child can go. I'm not buying my kid 200 different things because ONE child. Seriously.

Annoying...

ETA- I mean freak as in kids with a billion allergies that any be contained or strange ones that are hard to avoid no matter what you do or unless you change your child's school life almost completely. Not freak like weirdo or anything.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I mean yeah I do too, it sucks. But as for now there isn't much they can do about it but avoid the things that give them allergies. Another facility for them would help a lot. Also the teachers would be most likely be more educated on them and what to do

Quoting pamelakeller:

I feel for the kids that have such severe allergies, but I completely agree with you on this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM
My nephew is allergic to dairy, meat, peas, peanuts, soy protein, glutin, cats, dogs, maple syrup, penicillin and processed sugar. He attends day care and school without a problem. My sil just sends food with him. If they are going to be eating at someone else's house she packs him something he can eat. She doesn't expect anyone to accommodate his allergies. He also knows not to take anything other then his mom, nana, papa or I give to eat. And he is only going to be 6 next week.
mrsjksimmons
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah. It would make everyone else's life easier. Pffft! Bullshit! It would do nothing but make my child feel ostracized. Like he wasn't like everyone else enough that he has to go to special places because others don't want him there. Way to smash a kid to pieces. I have a hard enough time trying to make sure my kid knows that he's a great kid and there is nothing wrong with him even though he has allergies. He's 5 and already has kids picking on him. He has kids in his class calling him a loser and shoving him. Let's add special school to the list of things. This kind of attitude is what causes depression and suicide in people. Segregation isn't legal based on any other thing out there so it better damn well be illegal just because my kid happens to be different than yours.

MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Have you tried cortizone ointment? I know this sounds bizarre, but my youngest has severely dry skin and I tried every type of lotion and cream, too. Her doctor recommended cortizone ointment. It helped my baby, and then I learned that if I put the cortizone cream on while she's still damp from her bath and then slather her in Aveeno baby lotion it clears up almost all of the dry patches. We're still struggling with super dry elbows.

Just a thought!

Quoting momof2891:

Oh ok. I have people act very rude to us because of our allergies. Ds has horrible dry skin that is connected to his allergies and I heard someone at McDonald's tell their child to stay away from him because of his nasty skin. I have tried every prescription and OTC skin lotion and cream and ointment but nothing helps.

Quoting Anonymous:

I meant freak in the sense of a ton of allergies that you cant avoid no matter what you do or like specific ones that are hard to contain without changing everyone's life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because my children along with myself and dh doesn't make us freaks. We just have wacky bodies. But that does not we should segregated from children/people that do not have allergies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

me-n-mygirls
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Quoting rollin3kidsdeep:

I'm actually with you, troll or not lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM
If my child were one of them who couldn't "breathe peanuts" I would home school or something. I couldn't leave my childs safety up to other people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I would rather not send peanuts to school with my kid than hear that some kid died because I did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
And you don't feel like he would get along better at a place where EVERYONE had allergies? You don't feel it would be better for his health? Obviously the moms would take extra special care because their child is there too and they would be more apt to follow the guidelines IMO.
How did we get on the subject of suicide? Geeze

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Oh yeah. It would make everyone else's life easier. Pffft! Bullshit! It would do nothing but make my child feel ostracized. Like he wasn't like everyone else enough that he has to go to special places because others don't want him there. Way to smash a kid to pieces. I have a hard enough time trying to make sure my kid knows that he's a great kid and there is nothing wrong with him even though he has allergies. He's 5 and already has kids picking on him. He has kids in his class calling him a loser and shoving him. Let's add special school to the list of things. This kind of attitude is what causes depression and suicide in people. Segregation isn't legal based on any other thing out there so it better damn well be illegal just because my kid happens to be different than yours.

BazingaMama
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Calling them, my oldest child included, freaks is a bad choice of words, even if you didn't mean it to be offensive.  It's not their fault if they have allergies.  I think that you should homeschool if your child can't touch something (that doesn't involve food) but if it's a food allergy (like my oldest who is allergic to wheat, eggs and peanuts) then they should be able to go to school.  I've had to keep my daughter from doing quite a few things because of the food involved and it breaks her heart.  I refuse to NOT let her go to school with everyone else just because some moms can't buck up and have their kids bring treats that don't include peanuts.  Personally, I would supply my kid's own food everyday and for special events, and even bring more for other kids with allergies.  And if your child is allergic to foods other than peanuts then I think those parents should supply foods that the kids with allergies can eat.  If it were your child, then you would want other people to respect your kids allergy and don't sit there saying that you would keep your kid out of school, blah, blah, blah, because you wouldn't.  You don't know what it's like until you have to deal with it everyday and see what happens when your kid breaks out in hives, and their hands and feet swell and their throat starts to close and they almost die from it because someone didn't care because it wasn't their kid.  And people can grow into allergies, so maybe one day your kids will be allergic to something and they'll turn into one of those "freaks" and you'll be singing a different tune. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)