Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A different school for allergy freak kids

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
After all these post about you moms with children with like 1,000 allergies (I'm sorry about that btw) there needs to be a different place your child can go. I'm not buying my kid 200 different things because ONE child. Seriously.

Annoying...

ETA- I mean freak as in kids with a billion allergies that any be contained or strange ones that are hard to avoid no matter what you do or unless you change your child's school life almost completely. Not freak like weirdo or anything.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (81-82):
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM

While I would have phrased it differently, I do agree with you to an extent. While I thik that it is great hat schools can make accommodations for kids, there is a point that it goes too far. For example, obviously having ramps for a wheelchair bound kid is fantastic. But should we cut out gym class and end the track team because the wheelchair bound child cannot participate? That, however, is the direction that allergy accommodations are going.

Besides, if my child had such a severe allergy that he could die from peanut dust, I would be homeschooling (I homeschool anyway so maybe I am biased). I would not expect accomodations to be made for other allergies because to me that is a matter of personal responsibility. So what if my kid did not get to eat the shared snacks? I would just pack him is own awesome snacks, problem solved. 

MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM

So sit them separately. They don't have to eat together and I'm guessing your kid isn't going to share with my kid. If the allergy is so severe that my child couldn't even smell peanuts without having a reaction it might be a good idea to make sure those two students are in separate classes, but I still don't think there needs to be a special school for kids with extreme or bizarre allergies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well what if my kid was in your kids class. He is autistic and will only eat a PBJ for lunch. I'm talking absolutley will not eat anything else. Now does my kid have to starve because your child has a nut allergy? Now it is asking too much not to send a nut-related food because my child has a neurological condition that makes it impossible for him to eat anything but a pbj for lunch because that is what his brain tells him.  

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

I'm confused as to what you have to buy just because someone else's kid has allergies? Okay, so a kid in your child's class has a severe nut allergy. I don't think it's asking too much that you don't send nut-related snacks to school. You're not being asked to buy anything extra.

My DH has an absurd amount of allergies and thankfully none of our kids have shown signs of massive allergies, other than seasonal. His classmates didn't have to buy anything just to accomodate my DH's allergies when he was in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)