Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Elderly People Make Me Uncomfortable. You?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hi Ladies,

I've been doing a lot of volunteer work lately with a person who works in the field I am hoping to go into. In this field you can work with a variety of ages and lately I have seen my mentor working with elderly patients ages 60-92.

I don't have anything against old people, but I am very uncomfortable watching these patients. I have seen people who have barely entered retirement with all sorts of medical problems. I've seen patients who have had strokes who cannot speak but a few words. I have seen patients with swallowing problems, Parkinsons...the list goes on.

All I can think about is ...is this what I have to look forward to? Will I save for retirement only to suffer with medical problems. Most of these patients that I have seen were perfectly healthy until they started having problems, strokes...ect..

It's so scary. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I know what you mean. I used to do ballet and I once had a ballet instructor who was in her 60s and she was THE most flexible, skinny, healthy, astonishing, amazing dancer I have ever met! I was in AWE when I learned she was in her 60s!

Quoting TranquilMind:

It is scary.  I've recently returned to the gym and am working out hard. There is such a vast difference between those who do and those who don't.  People of the same age can look and function as if they are 25 years apart. 

You'd better whip that man into shape.  It comes back very quickly when you get started. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the OP.

I think part of what frightens me about being around old people is .. I think about my future with my SO. He is 9 years older than me. He is not big into exercise, is currently overweight, and he will drink alcohol on occasion. I already know that I will out-live him, but it is SO SCARY to think about myself and my SO as I watch these people who JUST entered retirement and are already losing their minds/ health.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No!  I love old people.  They have so much wisdom and so many stories.  Also, no matter how old you are, you are always young and cute to them! 

All I can say is to take care of yourself.  The piper is paid after decades of bodily abuse by bad habits, drinking, smoking, fake chemical foods, no exercise, etc.  You just have to do the best you can to live a healthy life and pray a lot! 

RockEducation
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Elderly people are the bomb, man. They have all the war stories to tell and should be respected. Just take care of your health the best that you can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I have always worked in the medical field. I actually loved working with Alzheimer's senior patients. What one may see as a burden may be a blessing to another. What I mean by this is yes the disease itself sucks but the outcome may be a blessing in disguise. For example: I have a friend whose grandmother has alzheimers. Prior to it she was taking care of her husband (who passed away right before the disease kicked in for her) and just staying couped up in the house.

Once the disease kicked in, she lived in wisconsin while her family lives in illinois, they put her in a home.  They had to because several times she forgot to turn off the stove and almost burned her house down. Yes the thought is sad but now she has friends in the home and she is more outgoing. She loves to do the activities and is very happy. Her family comes and visits her often. 

HotMomma2622
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM
I work at a nursing home as a nurse I love older people. They can teach you alot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I'm afraid of people with obvious mental disabilities I don't know why. Old people are fine with me

Tinabee88
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Not all of them are sickly, but your feelings are likely common. It's the same thing as people who are uncomfortable around newborns and small children.

WesternNYmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I have been helping my parents care for my 91 year old grandmother.  She is very frail, and has alot of health issues.  Take care of her at times is like taking care of a 1 year old who is just learning to walk.  She is very unsteady on her feet and requires the use of a cane to get around.  Also, because of her lack of stability, my parents and I have to prepare her meals and bring them to her. Another thing that adds stress is that she seems to need something every 5 mins.  I am lucky if I can sit down and drink a cup of coffee before she starts demanding food, drinks, or items out of her purse.  The biggest issue right now is her going to the bathroom. She will start getting antsy if she has to wait for someone to finish up in the bathroom so she can go in, and has even knock my kids out of the way to get to the bathroom before they could go in. Don't get me started on the amount of  TP and kleenex my grandmother uses while she is here.  Lets just say, she uses more paper products in one day than my entire family uses in a week.  I love her, but I am not trained to handle people who need constant care. When I worked as an aid for the Disabled, all my contacts were individuals who could live on their own and only required a few hours of assistance a few days a week.  My grandmother is at the point where she needs round the clock care, and unfortunately neither my parents and are able to provide that the care she needs.  My uncle unfortunatley refuses to see things from mine and my parents point of view and stated that he doesn't want to put her into a long term care facility.  With his work schedual, and the fact that him and his wife always seem to be out of town on vacation, it looks like my parents are not going to be getting any help from them when it comes to her care. That is why I have been helping out.  Unfortunately the stress is taking its toll on all of us.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

The elderly don't scare me, Heck i'm married to one! He's 72 walks the dog a mile or 2 every day. Works a 40 hr week and for his 65th b-day I got him a basketball set. He goes out and shoots hoops when he's bored or antsy from sitting around..

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I see what you are saying. I volunteered in nursing homes the majority of my teen life and even thought about becoming a nurse. But I just can't bear to watch those poor people deteriorate. If I were to ever to decide to become a nurse, which is unlikely I have other plans, I would not work in a nursing home.

Otherwise, I enjoy the company of an older person a lot more than the company of a younger person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM
My sister is the same way but probly worse she will literally get up and leave the room when an old person is around or comes in..she gets sad and says she cant stand looking a them all fragile and weak looking cause our mom passed away from cancer at 51 she was young but the medical treatment made her look much older and fragile ...Rest IN Paradise mami <3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)