Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Elderly People Make Me Uncomfortable. You?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hi Ladies,

I've been doing a lot of volunteer work lately with a person who works in the field I am hoping to go into. In this field you can work with a variety of ages and lately I have seen my mentor working with elderly patients ages 60-92.

I don't have anything against old people, but I am very uncomfortable watching these patients. I have seen people who have barely entered retirement with all sorts of medical problems. I've seen patients who have had strokes who cannot speak but a few words. I have seen patients with swallowing problems, Parkinsons...the list goes on.

All I can think about is ...is this what I have to look forward to? Will I save for retirement only to suffer with medical problems. Most of these patients that I have seen were perfectly healthy until they started having problems, strokes...ect..

It's so scary. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Replies (21-26):
tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Since I am 52, I can't say they bother me. I think my health makes me relate to them more than people my own age. Sad.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Quoting kmorales7690:

I love old people! They ha some awesome stories

You can learn some wonderful things about history just by encouraging them to tell about when they were younger!

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Nope. Many people in the field question this.

I have an advanced directive and a plan. I will kill myself before I can no longer wipe my own ass (permanently)

The key is to keep moving and get an eduacation. I don't know why but teachers and health care professionals live the longest, I can't tell you how many 102 year old people I've met who taught in elementary schools!

KEEP MOVING. Its true, move it or lose it. Never stop being active!

Neuro
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I am not afraid of old people, I am afraid of being around people with disabilities sometimes, though. This is mainly because I would not know how to react if say, somebody's child, began behaving awry. I've known people to think it's rude not to acknowledge their child's presence and others who think that the alternative is rude and/or insensitive. I hate it when I don't know how to act purely because I lack the experience and people are rubbed the wrong way by it.

I am afraid of my health going south, period. I am so thankful that good health runs in my family and thankful that I am in good health right now. I can't imagine having to live with those sorts of limitations and having to require some sort of accomodation.

audreesmama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I was raised by my grandparents, so the elderly don't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer them to people my own age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

In the words of my kids, I can "speak old."

Health problems can happen to anyone, but the chances of it are much slimmer if you take care of yourself, eat healthy food, get exercise on a regular basis, and so on. Good genes help too - all the women on my dads side lived active lives well into their 100's.  Not so on my moms, but she takes care of herself and walks many miles a day (never drove) - she's 83, the oldest anyone on her side lived.  My dad is 88, and JUST stopped flying his own plane!

I also help out with my husbands aunt (she's 83) - health wise she's in good shape, but the only one of her siblings still alive (and the only one who didn't drive, lives in NYC and walks everywhere).  But she's fallen for a scam, and I've been taking care of her financial matters, which involves a trip back there every couple months.  She and I get along great, we go to museums, we went shopping the last time in the garmet district for fabric for me (which she was entranced with, since she never learned to sew).

Treat them as real people - they are, and they have a wealth of experience to share.

And if you're worried about "being old" - eat healthy, exercise a lot, stay mentally heathy (learn new things all the time!  my dad is learning Japanese).  Don't stop experiencing life - don't say things are "too young" for you - embrace the "now"!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)