Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DS Was Kicked Out Of His Homeschool Coop and I'm Devastated:(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 115 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH and I lived up in the Washington DC area until two years ago.  DH had the opportunity to work from home and we moved to Southern Appalachia where we already had a vacation home.  We were really excited about moving because we love the outdoors and have always loved the small community but we were concerned because our DS has autism and we were unsure of services.

DH and I checked out the options and while we decided that the public school couldn't really accommodate DS, there were good therapists available and a large homeschooling group.  I communicated with the group extensively and was thrilled that there was an established coop, plenty of activities, and several other kids with LDs.

We now have been living here just over a year and DS is thriving in the homeschool setting, in great part due to the HS group and coop.  Last week we had a meeting where new members were introduced.  We went around the room and said where we were from and typically where we went to church.  When it was my turn, I was asked where "I churched" and I said I didn't.  When pressed, I explained that I was an atheist. 

Yesterday I received notification that the HS group has decided to become a Christian Home School Group and my DS is no longer allowed to attend.  

The closest open homeschool group is over 60 miles away:(

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HerLadyGrey
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM

That's really shitty.

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:46 AM

How awful. I'm sorry. :(

Neuro
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM

I am from that area and it sounds pretty typical.

I can somewhat understand if they do teach in the Christian style (I know some children are given the Christian education) and they never made it official because they've never had to worry about it being that all of the members were Christian as a given so they didn't want to deal with whatever hell they'd get from those who do not wish to give a religious education to their child. They should have made it legit to begin with. It's entirely possible and I'd bet money that they were always a religious education group, but they should have made it official. It wouldn't be fair to them to have to change their entire curriculum to accomodate one person but it isn't fair to you that they didn't make it officially known so you would have known ahead of time.

Either way, they don't sound like a very legit group if they couldn't even be bothered to make it official. Better that you're not there anymore.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM
9 moms liked this

WOW that sucks..........and a shitty thing for a "Christian Group" to do......smdh

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM
What assholes! They should have asked you how you felt about it being a christian curriculum....so much for being "christians."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:53 AM
7 moms liked this
The love of Christ. Isn't it beautiful?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:56 AM
5 moms liked this

Annnnd, here come the anti-Christian posts.

I am so sorry you were treated that way, it's totally unacceptable.  I think you're dealing with a low education level + high level of churchianity.  That's never pleasant. 

Damn.  I guess you could try to start your own? 

For the rest of you, lumping everyone in with a small group of idiots isn't kind.  Nor accurate.  Slow your (collective) roll. 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM

They do use mostly Christian materials when teaching lessons at the coop and I didn't mind and actually find some of the materials quite lovely.  We use secular materials at home.  They did have prayer time but my DS and I just bowed our heads and used that time as a moment of reflection.  I knew that the group was a Christian Group but it never occurred to me that they would be exclusive.  I kind of blame myself for not announcing I was an atheist from the first communication, but it is not something I normally think about announcing.

DH is actually an Episcopalian and very active in the local church but I guess having one Christian parent isn't enough.

Quoting Neuro:

I am from that area and it sounds pretty typical.

I can somewhat understand if they do teach in the Christian style (I know some children are given the Christian education) and they never made it official because they've never had to worry about it being that all of the members were Christian as a given so they didn't want to deal with whatever hell they'd get from those who do not wish to give a religious education to their child. They should have made it legit to begin with. It's entirely possible and I'd bet money that they were always a religious education group, but they should have made it official. It wouldn't be fair to them to have to change their entire curriculum to accomodate one person but it isn't fair to you that they didn't make it officially known so you would have known ahead of time.

Either way, they don't sound like a very legit group if they couldn't even be bothered to make it official. Better that you're not there anymore.

The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:06 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, it's an earned reputation.

Furthermore, I didn't see anyone make an "anti-Christian" statement. They were pointing out the hypocrisy of the group, not Christianity as a whole.

The group wronged both the mother and the child using their religion. It's an important part of the story and, therefore, open to comment.

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Annnnd, here come the anti-Christian posts.

I am so sorry you were treated that way, it's totally unacceptable.  I think you're dealing with a low education level + high level of churchianity.  That's never pleasant. 

Damn.  I guess you could try to start your own? 

For the rest of you, lumping everyone in with a small group of idiots isn't kind.  Nor accurate.  Slow your (collective) roll. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)