Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Horrible mom award

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

I know that I have not always been the world's greatest mom. I have been a single mom for 15 years and money has been very tight. My sons are now 19 and 23. The 23 yr old got married last summer and now will not speak to me, text, anything. It is though I am dead to him. It breaks my heart and I just don't know what to do.

Why? His wife. I posted before that they invited us (younger son and me) to Christmas day and w days before called and basically uninvited us because they invited a friend over instead...a man much closer to my age than theirs and they did it because his family went out of town. It hurt my feelings and made me feel like I just don't matter at all. It is not the first holiday that has been ruined since she came into the picture. There was the Mother's Day that I got a call, "We are going out to lunch and wondered if you wanted anything dropped off." This time, it was just too much. I told my son that he does not have to worry about any holiday in the future because I just can't keep taking the hurt. So, now....he won't speak to me or his brother.

My dil is extremely manipulative and I think she is jealous of the relationship I have had with my sons. I don't want to be between them and have always told my sons that when they marry, their wives are first. Period. But, I don't think that means I should cease to exist. My younger son did not do anything to them at all. The last time I spoke with my older son, he said he was going to call his brother, apologize, meet with him to give him his Christmas gift, etc. Then, nothing. He won't answer the phone when the younger son tries to call. 

I am heart broken and feel like a failure because my son won't speak to me. I have serious medical issues. I don't have much life insurance, but I am going to have my older son taken off of the policy. All decisions will be left to my younger son. I am going to do a medical power of attorney and leave the decisions to the younger son. I don't know what else to do. 

My dil unfriended me on FB, dropped me from pinterest and unfriended my younger son. Such a mess. I have given up so much for this kid and cannot believe this has happened. I guess I was just supposed to say it was okay to keep treating me like dirt. That is how my dil treats her mom...I have seen it.  

Any words of wisdom? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:10 AM

That's sad. I saw this happen to my MIL with BIL. When he married his wife, suddenly he couldn't talk to his dad, then over time he talked to his mom less & less (though they still let her babysit instead of day care) then one day they picked the kids up & never went back. There had been no fight, no arguing, no excuse. BIL refuses to call MIL or invite her over or visit. Yet they are ALWAYS at his in-laws or doing things with the in-laws because she favors her family but won't let him see his (it causes a fight between them & he choose her). She's a terrible person and no one likes her. We've talked to BIL many times and he shows no indifference. I hope you find healing one day... there's no changing people like that :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:25 AM

That is my fear. She does not like her mom and  openly says so. My dil has to be the center of attention. I hate this. It breaks my heart. Because he has not unfriended my younger sons or blocked me (I have not been friends on FB because I wanted him to have space) I am hoping he does not want us out of his life. I hope he comes to his senses. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad. I saw this happen to my MIL with BIL. When he married his wife, suddenly he couldn't talk to his dad, then over time he talked to his mom less & less (though they still let her babysit instead of day care) then one day they picked the kids up & never went back. There had been no fight, no arguing, no excuse. BIL refuses to call MIL or invite her over or visit. Yet they are ALWAYS at his in-laws or doing things with the in-laws because she favors her family but won't let him see his (it causes a fight between them & he choose her). She's a terrible person and no one likes her. We've talked to BIL many times and he shows no indifference. I hope you find healing one day... there's no changing people like that :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)