Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Extreme allergies, nature's population control?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
It seems more and more people are severely allergic to items that have been dietary staples for millenia. In the past, if the community member couldn't eat what everyone else ate they would either starve or die from the anaphylaxis. We are a much kinder people than our ancestors and have a wider range of foods. But should the problems of the weaker members of the species dominate the entire population? Do peanut free classrooms strengthen the gene pool?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Interesting thought. Not sure how I feel about it, but definitely interesting.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM

That's an interesting theory. I don't know if I agree or disagree. Oftentimes it is argued that "mutations" are to strengthen the gene pool. (I am not implying kids with allergies are mutants, btw). So maybe being allergic to peanuts benefits us in some way. Perhaps we'll find out that peanut butter causes cancer. Just an off the wall idea.

As interesting as your theory is, I'd expect to get you a** handed to you.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Not all mutations are beneficial.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Natural selection, it's only natural.

LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:51 AM
That is an interesting theory.
As a species we are still evolving and with our "kindness and humanity" pretty much ignoring Darwinism to a large part, unlike most of nature. Could lead to an interesting evolution since we are not breeding and allowing survival of the fittest.
LilliesValley
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM
This could be said about many groups in our currency population. From early births, retardation, etc. This is just one group. Some babies born with a birth defect would be left on the dirt to go back to the earth.

Usually people with a so called problem or deficiency are superiors in another area. So I don't see it as an issue. I think sometimes it can be grossly inconvenient to a large group and at that point the individual with the allergy or parents nerds to be objective and say is this infringing to much on the normal flow and expectations of everyone else?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM
How are peanuts a food staple? My dd has peanut allergies and that in no means makes her "weaker".
Shaylyn318
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Marking my spot.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

This is exactly what my husband thinks.  And while I don't necessarily have a huge problem with a peanut free classroom, for example, to answer your question:  no, they absolutely do not strengthen the gene pool.  Anytime one completely eliminates any trace of an allergen from their life, that allergy gets stronger, not weaker.  To have stronger immune systems, we should (within reason and safety) expose ourselves to as many germs and allergens as possible. 

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Hadn't looked at it this way before.  Interesting.

Why would we as a species stop evolving/changing just because we think we're 'done'. LOL

Although, in some cases, I think the allergies developed due to GMO's in our food products.  Corn, wheat, etc. have been genetically altered in a way that our bodies aren't designed to process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)