Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child has an allergy.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 17 Replies

At what age did you find out? Was it when they had a reaction or did you do tests? Were they exposed to the allergen or were they kept away from it before you were aware? 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM

We thought DD had allergies but it turned out to be Celiac Disease which had damaged her system so much that she wasn't able to handle dairy or eggs. When we fixed her system, she was able to eat it all again.

jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM
He was 2 & it was the trees in our yard, thankfully he outgrew this after his tonsils & adenoids were removed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Both my girls were around 5yrs when their allergies started showing. Both are allergic to trees & molds that grow on wet leaves & grass
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy404204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

My kids both have allergies. My son has some seasonal allergies and allergies to cats and dogs we did not know until he had problems with the cats and dogs but he had what we thought was a cold for a while and when we took him to the DR she said it was allergies. My daughter is allergic to penecilin and other stuff like that which we did not find out until she had a reaction to it.

hip2it
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM

We found out that DD was allergic to strawberries, coconut, all grass and most insect bites before her first birthday.  She was tested for allergies.

She outgrew all of them.  She's 7 now.

When she was small, up to 3, we avoided those things.  Then we taught her what she could and couldn't have.  She still avoids coconut.  She's still afraid of insects (the bites made HUGE painful blisters).  The grass never slowed her down, made her break out in an itchy rash but Benadryl would contain it.

None of my kids have ever had a life threatening allergy.

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM
My dd is allergic to azythromyacin (sp?). She was 2 when we found out. She has been a very sick child and was on about 9-10 medications at the time. We were in the hospital and she got a rash, nothing serious. But they had to stop all the medicines she was taking and start them over one by one but added benydryl to the list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM

There are too many things to effectively test for.  I found out when she had a reaction.  My brother, sister, and I each had allergies and we had not been exposed to the allergens early.  When we were finally exposed as teenagers we had a reaction.  The allergist said that a parent should expose their child to as many different items as possible early on, so they do not have allergies when they grown up.

My son has no allergies, my daughter had one that we managed.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM
He was 5/6 when we found out he's allergic to dust mites mold and ragweed. He had a bad year last year he had allergy induced asthma and bronchitis atleast 6 times. So far this year hasn't been that bad for him thank god.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My daughter was 4 when we discovered she was allergic to peanuts. 

Amanda52007
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My daughter is allergic to penicillin and augmentin. We found out because she had a reaction to them, and caused her thyroid gland to attack her body. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured