Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So...what would you do??? Totally conflicted here...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 22 Replies

My 8 year old DS is a smart kid. Gets straight A's in school and is pretty good behavior-wise. All year long he has been bullied and the aschool refuses to do anything. Most of this bullying happens on the school bus. 

Yesterday my son was on the bus talking to another students sister. I guess the brother did not like it and he hiis my DS in the chest. My son snaps and pops the kid in the face..Now my son has told this bus driver NUMEROUS times that he was being picked on. 

I am conflicted. I told him that fighting and being violent is NEVER the answer. (This is the fisrt fight he has really been in) But inwardly I am glad he finally stood up to the bully..

Would you feel the same?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I would be torn as well, and for the same reasons. It's a tough spot to be in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Absolutely. While we obviously don't want our kids putting their hands on another, we also don't want them to get bullied or abused and not stand up for themselves. Is there anyway you could or have someone else pick him up and drop him off at school? probably not or you would have already done that. Talk to the bus driver? talk to the school district? something needs to be done....

good luck mama!!! hope you can get the whole situation fixed for you ds!!! It sucks we raise our kids to be good, smart, well behaved children and then they end up getting bullied for not being a little snot nose ass like the other kids.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Yup. Same thing happened to DD in K (except it was on the playground). The kids picking on her didn't stop until she stood up to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I don't know mama. I worry about little ones getting picked on routinely. Hopefully it will stop now and not escalate. Good luck and hugs for you and your son.

LadySaphira
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Being the child that was  picked on/bullied and growing up in the projects I have to say that fighting sometimes is the only language these bullies understand. I was taught to walk away/ignore when I could but it it got physical, I had the right to defend myself. Once I fought back, I was left alone.

hddcooper
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Sounds like he was only defending himself. I would be fine with my child doing the exact same thing. People will only treat you as bad as you allow them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Nothing to feel conflicted about.
skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM
He didn't get in trouble on the bus, right?
CotterpinDoozer
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM

So the kid he hit is the same kid who has been bullying him or is there more than one? So nothing has been done about this other kids behavior, are they talking about punishing your son? Because that wouldn't fly in my book. Honestly, my dad taught me to never take shit from anyone, and I never did. I rarely resorted to violence, but when I did it was usually after a situation like that. I personally would sit him down and tell him that while you understand his frustration and you're happy he stood up for himself, the manner in which he did so wasn't the best way to have handled it.

OR you could say "Way to go slugger!" That's what my dad said to me after my first "altercation."

_jcls_
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I know fighting isn't the answer but if the school and the bus driver refuses to do anything after this happening numerous times I think I would be inwardly glad too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)