Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

girl dies after suffering asthma attack at school. coach just sent her outside when she complained of not being able to breathe.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

Fifteen-year-old Millwood basketball player Karisma Taylor was in a coma in critical condition at OU Medical Center Thursday night, the result of a severe asthma attack before a basketball game earlier this week.

Taylor became short of breath during warm-ups before the game and was told to go outside, according to KWTV-9, which originally reported the story.

Outside the gym, Taylor passed out and was in full arrest when paramedics arrived, the story said.

A Millwood official could not comment on the story Thursday because of an ongoing investigation into the incident.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY —Doctors say an Oklahoma City teen who has been comatose since Monday has died

Karisma Taylor, 15, is being left on a ventilator until her family is able to see her. Doctors said she will be taken off the ventilator later Friday.

Taylor passed out following a basketball practice at Millwood High School on Monday.

“I wish they would’ve called 911 first, as soon as she told them, ‘I’m having an asthma attack and couldn’t breathe,'” said Karisma’s mother, Teanesa Taylor.

Taylor complained of being unable to breathe during the practice. She was later found unconscious and foaming at the mouth in the back entrance of the school's gym.

“She was out, legs were to the side, eyes were rolled (to the) back of her head,” Taylor said.

The teen was rushed to Children's Hospital. Her family said they are relying heavily on their faith and asking for the community's support during this challenging time.

Karisma Taylor was diagnosed with severe asthma attacks several years ago. Her mother said she always carried an inhaler, but they don't know if her medicine would have helped her.

Millwood Schools said the incident is under investigation.

The school released a statement regarding Karisma’s collapse

We are aware of the health-related incident at the Millwood Fieldhouse,” school officials said in the statement. “It is currently under investigation, so we cannot report anything else at this time. We ask the community to join us in prayer for the young lady and her family.”

Read more: http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/Millwood-basketball-player-dies-doctors-say/-/11777584/18372928/-/evcbk2/-/index.html#ixzz2KtKkfFxE

Read more: http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/Millwood-basketball-player-dies-doctors-say/-/11777584/18372928/-/evcbk2/-/index.html#ixzz2KtKYKc79

Master_Debater
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
:'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This is sad.  My son was having trouble breathing yesterday on the way home from school.  I don't have a travel sized inhaler (doctor didn't prescribe him one because he doesn't need once since he doesn't have chronic asthma. It only flares up when his allergies are being an ass).  I made him breathe in his nose and out of his mouth slowly and we walked slow.  Took longer to get home, but as soon as we got in, I gave him his disc (its a steroid inhaler thing) a benadryl and put him on his nebulizer for about 30 mins. He's alright now. 

Its sad this girl didn't have a travel inhaler.  I wonder if she had one and just didn't have it on her or what.  Either way, this is truly sad and shame on the coach for not being attentive.  I'm sure they knew she had breathing issues, you're supposed to let the school know about all of your children's medical problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

So sad, but I am not sure this is anyone's fault, really. She was 15. I would think she was capable of handling her medicine, saying she needed emergency help etc. It just seems like a sudden, awful thing that happened. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM
My ds also has bad asthma, he isn't allowed to carry his inhaler. Not only that but an inhaler will only help so much, she needed emergency treatment.
The coach should have been able to see her struggle. She may not have realized how bad she was but she had to have signs. I didn't get that she didn't say anything from this report, it sounds as though she did speak up but "was told to go outside" although we can't be sure.
It's sad and I feel for her parents!

Quoting Anonymous:

So sad, but I am not sure this is anyone's fault, really. She was 15. I would think she was capable of handling her medicine, saying she needed emergency help etc. It just seems like a sudden, awful thing that happened. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My dd complains of her athletic coaches often. She is 13 and never had a teacher before that she didn't like or said was rude.  SHe says they are so rude to everyone.  I hate to hear about it.  I think sports are taken way to seriously.

Megan11587
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

She certainly shouldn't have been sent outside by herself

Quoting Anonymous:

Tinabee88
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM
It happens and what a terrible way to die.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)