Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwcm do?? So my mom caused problems over the baby name we picked out!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 71 Replies
My Dh and I already were having trouble even thinking of a girl name we love, but somehow I thought of a beautiful name and my Dh actually loves it and the name feels so right.

Well I had reservations telling my mom bc when we were naming our son we had one girl and one boy name picked out. My mom said she hated the girl name.

Well aost 2 years later and I know I'm having a girl, 5 mo along and Dh tells her the name 2 nights ago. He didnt know I really didnt want to tell her.

This morning I wake up to a text and it says: Please don't name your baby that name. I have too many negative attachments to it.

I read it to Dh in disbelief. I think she's totally overstepping.

What should I reply to her? If anything? This is upsetting for her to even think I'd pick a name based on her feelings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evelynolivesmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I would name my kid what I wanted regardless. So.. whats the name?

schatzi869
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
What's the name?
lilyismyheart
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Tell her to get over it.
Hyman
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
And here's the negative issue.

My sister, who's 10 years younger than me, went to an all girls school and there was a girl she hated and they never got along. Well it didnt ever have anything to do with my life. It was something we all have - someone we don't get along with, especially at school.

When I thought of the name, that issue from years ago never crossed my mind. It was so petty. Not really even bullying, just not getting along and hating each other.

And frankly, I don't think I should have to submit a name request to make sure she got along with a girl of this name. Which is pretty uncommon around here.
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The name is the choice of you and your husband............mom's opinion doesn't matter.  I didn't like the name my daughter gave my grandson, but it wasn't my choice........

otoole
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

if it feels right to you do it. she will have to get over it.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

What are her negative attachments to the name?

And what's the name?

Hyman
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
The name is Alessandra. I think it's so beautiful. I was really not wanting to even tell anyone bc I know everyone will have their comments. I cannot control Dh though and he's so proud and excited to have a dd and name her that lol.
CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Regardless of the name, you name your daughter whatever you like, especially if you and DH love it. If you really feel like responding, tell her she's over stepping and you do not appreciate her input, especially since it wasn't asked for. I personally would not be as nice as that, and I wasn't with my MIL who kept complaining about our DDS name, but she's your mom. Just tell her you don't appreciate the text and she's going to have to accept and move on.

kim8934
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
4 moms liked this

be positive & tell her 'now you will have something good to clear out the bad'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured