Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

she thinks EVERY redhead is Irish....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

Once again my ignorant, racist, hillbilly mom has dumbfounded me with her logic.

My mom's side of the family is 90% Irish & Scottish yet there's only one redhead, my aunt Nina (nye-nah not Nee-nah) and yes she has green eyes too.

Every. Mother. Fucking. Time. We talk about my dad's side of the family, she asks if my dad's mother is Irish, SOLELY because she has red hair and green eyes, and so did HER mother. Oh and because her name is Rose Marie, Marie actually being her middle name (again, not RoseMARY that my mom insists on calling her) My great grandma and grandpa were born in Hungary. My grandma is 100% Hungarian, straight off the frickin' boat. She keeps asking me lately especially since good old St. Patricks Day is the next "holiday" on the calendar. I'm about ready to knock her freakin lights out.

At this point I'm just like HELLO you've known her 27 years and don't know her actual name or nationality? WTF, mom, great job...

Does anyone else actually think this or is my mother a completely ignorant twat?! I vote for the latter.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Irish with dark hair and dark eyes.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a very small percentage of the world with red hair and not all are Irish. It is all in the genetics! I know wikipedia isn't always 100% accurate, but read this.

Here is part of the article--

Redheads constitute approximately 4 percent (4%) of the European population.[11] Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads; 13 percent (13%) of the population has red hair and approximately 40 percent (40%) carries the recessive redhead gene.[12] Ireland has the second highest percentage; as many as 10 percent (10%) of the Irish population has red, auburn, or strawberry blond hair.[13] It is thought that up to 46 percent (46%) of the Irish population carries the recessive redhead gene. A 1956 study of hair colour amongst British army recruits also found high levels of red hair in Wales and the English Border counties.[14]

Red hair is also fairly common amongst the Ashkenazi Jewish populations, possibly because of the influx of European DNA over a period of centuries,[citation needed] or in the original founding of their communities in Europe.[15] Both Esau and David are described in the Bible as red-haired. In European culture, prior to the 20th century, red hair was often seen as a stereotypically Jewish trait: during the Spanish Inquisition, all those with red hair were identified as Jewish.[16] In Italy, red hair was associated with Italian Jews, and Judas was traditionally depicted as red-haired in Italian and Spanish art.[17] Writers from Shakespeare to Dickens would identify Jewish characters by giving them red hair.[18] The stereotype that red hair is Jewish remains in parts of Eastern Europe and Russia.[19]

In the United States, it is estimated that 2–6% of the population has red hair. This would give the U.S. the largest population of redheads in the world, at 6 to 18 million, compared to approximately 650,000 in Scotland and 420,000 in Ireland.[citation needed]

The Berber populations of Morocco[20] and northern Algeria have occasional redheads. Red hair frequency is especially significant among the Kabyles from Algeria, where it reaches 4 percent (4%.)[21][22] The Queen of Morocco, Lalla Salma wife of king Mohammed VI, has red hair. Abd ar-Rahman I also had red hair, his mother being a Christian Berber slave.

In Asia, darker or mixed tinges of red hair can be found sporadically from Northern India, the northern Middle East (such as Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Palestine). Red hair can be found amongst those of Iranian descent, such as the Persians, Lurs, Nuristanis and Pashtuns. Emigration from these people, as well as parts of the Middle East, Central Asia, North India, and North Africa added to the population of red haired humans in the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other parts of Africa and Europe.

Biochemistry and genetics

misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I got my red hair from my Irish grandpa. haha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Lol, I like how you called your mom an ignorant twat. :)
I'm a redhead and I am not Irish.
Same w/ my BFF, she's a red head and not irish.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM
The only redheads I know are Mexican.
GingerGeek
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I'm a redhead and my family is mostly scottish.  However, I have had people assume I'm irish before just because of my hair.  For what it's worth, I've had people say "Oh you have red hair because you were born on Valentine's Day" numerous times.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

my hubbys a brunette scot! i'm a brunette viking/celt

reesesami
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband is Irish and he has dark hair, tan skin, and green eyes. I thought he was Mexican when I first met him. Everyone thinks he's Mexican but he's full Irish.

Quoting owl0210:

I'm Irish with dark hair and dark eyes.

Brandyns87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

There are a lot of people who think that, probably because leprechauns always have red hair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

She is. The other day she carried on about hating Hispanics, even though my dad is 1/2 Puerto Rican with his dad being born is Puerto Rico. Then she proceeded to tell me if you've met one black person, you've met them all. 

Honestly though my mom was born in VERY rural Virginia, they had no electricity and used an outhouse until she was 10, and took baths in one of those metal tubs. And she was born in the 60's. I think there was 1 black family where she grew up.

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

Lol, I like how you called your mom an ignorant twat. :)
I'm a redhead and I am not Irish.
Same w/ my BFF, she's a red head and not irish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)