Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do YOU know how to determine when to say Who and when to say Whom?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 58 Replies
Or the difference between using "and I" and "and me"?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM
bump
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I don't always remember the who & whom. Today though nothing make sense so who knows. 

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

i just figured out I and me... I use whom when it sounds better in the sentence and context, but who knows if I am doing it correctly

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

yes but im too cool to use it right ;D

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
You would figure out Who/Whom in almost the same way you figure out I/Me ... Drop the who and replace it with him/he. If it's him, then it's whom. If it's he, it's who. Just like if you drop the "Billy and" from a "billy and I" type sentence, then you see if that sentence would be I or me when in the singular form.

Quoting anyotherday:

i just figured out I and me... I use whom when it sounds better in the sentence and context, but who knows if I am doing it correctly

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

you cant tell, becasue I dont know how to type it out but you got my approving tounge click and a "gotchya" 

Thank you muchly

Quoting AnnieMcD:

You would figure out Who/Whom in almost the same way you figure out I/Me ... Drop the who and replace it with him/he. If it's him, then it's whom. If it's he, it's who. Just like if you drop the "Billy and" from a "billy and I" type sentence, then you see if that sentence would be I or me when in the singular form.

Quoting anyotherday:

kimkrys1
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I learned I and my by the country song that has a line that says, "She and I live in our own little world."  You couldn't say "She and me.." ha

Who and Whom.  Isn't it, "Who do you know?" and "With whom are you going?" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

"whom" sounds stupid and outdated, I never use it

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Nope, both of those would be whom. So to figure out those sentences if you didn't know them, you would change it around to "Do you know him?" and because "Do you know he?" doesn't make any sense, then you know it's whom. Just like "are you going with him" would be whom.

Quoting kimkrys1:

I learned I and my by the country song that has a line that says, "She and I live in our own little world."  You couldn't say "She and me.." ha

Who and Whom.  Isn't it, "Who do you know?" and "With whom are you going?" 

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this
People who don't say whom sound stupid and uneducated, and I often don't listen to what their opinions are.

Quoting Anonymous:

"whom" sounds stupid and outdated, I never use it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)