Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CraigsList and Childcare!

Posted by   + Show Post
If you have posted an ad on CraigsList for Childcare from home, how has it worked out for you? This is my first time doing this, and I could use some advice. What did your ad say, how did you go about responding... I've already posted my ad, but just received an email that sounded a Lil fishy. So if you have experience with this, kindly let me know how to go about it.
EDIT*****
I'm not in search for child care... I want to start babysitting from home...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
momsince04
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
How did you go about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done it and cared for some great families, but you do need to be careful.

kyuteangl88
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I don't have any advice, but I was just browsing a local website and decided to click on the childcare section. I look at ONE add, the woman is an obvious tweaker and flat out says she doesn't have custody of any of her kids :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momsince04
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Wow!

Quoting kyuteangl88:

I don't have any advice, but I was just browsing a local website and decided to click on the childcare section. I look at ONE add, the woman is an obvious tweaker and flat out says she doesn't have custody of any of her kids :-/

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This was a couple of years ago now, so I'm not sure what it said word by word..

But It said she was looking to care for 1 or 2 children a couple of times a week.. that she was a mother of four, and the ages of her children.. When I contacted her she asked if she could add me on FB - After seeing her FB, and being able to go back YEARS on her wall, and the thousands of pics of her kids.. I decided I'd meet up with her, and I'm very glad I did.  I of course met her before my children did.

Quoting momsince04:

What did her ad say?

Quoting KristenFowles:

it can be VERY VERY fishy.

It can be dangerous..

That being said, I did find an amazing mother of 4 on Craigslist when I was looking for a babysitter.. And she became a great friend.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I did child care out of my home as well as nanny in others home. I never responded to emails only phone calls. If it sounds fishy do not respond.

christyg
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I run a daycare from my home and use craigslist all the time. I have even found families in my own neighborhood that I would not have found any other way.

You will get LOTS of spam, especially from someone saying they are coming to your area and want you to watch their kids. They use words like "respectively" and sound very English in their speech. Just delete them! You will know when a "real" parent messages you!

NEVER put your address, or even your intersection! You can give them an approximate location, like a certain school district or a specific neighborhood, but don't give out specific street names!

Are you certified/licensed/registered (whatever your state requires)? That always helps to attract quality families. 

alyssa1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I babysit I have put ads on cl u do need to be careful and use good judgement and be honest. I have found jobs this way. I got a email about spanking a child it didn't sound right and I thought it was fishy and wrote back saying no matter what they said I was not comfortable spanking a child that isn't mine.
Chelsey191
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
The area where they will be playing.

Quoting momsince04:

Pics of what?

Quoting Chelsey191:

Be honest, post pics, use proper spelling and grammer, post the price.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Quoting momsince04:

First I emailed back and forth with the mom, checked her out by looking up her name on Google, Facebook, and others. Then gave her my phone number, spoke on the phone, and met with her. I watched her 2 kids from birth until they started school, and we still keep in touch. There is also a site called care.com which I like .
needsupport100
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

i don't even like leaving my dd with PROFESSIONAL child daycare facility that i haven't carefully scoped out. NO WAY IN HELL would i let her stay with some loone off craigslist..

yeah no thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)